Not one but two punctures today..............whilst on the turbo!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How the hell does that happen. Was about ten minutes into a routine I do a lot and I was thinking, boy, am I struggling today. I then looked down and saw the tyre was flat. Rather odd I thought but went about changing the inner tube, carrying out the usual checks.

Set off again and lo and behold, another puncture!! But in a different place on the inner tube than the other one. I know this cos the second one was right beside the valve whereas the first one was about 30cms away from the valve.

Now, has this ever happened to anyone else before - was I just desperately unlucky or what?

Second time it happened, I went round the wheel and even turned the tyre inside out to check of any possible cause. I even checked the roller on the turbo but to no avail.

Wheel is off the bike with a new tube inside and inflated but I still may take it down to the LBS tomorrow so a more skilled eye can look at it

It happens all the time, double p'tures. Perhaps the tyre is a little worn and if you've been using it on the turbo it'll have worn slightly faster.

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Possibly, I`ll have another look at the tyre then - it is a turbo tyre and I`ve had it a few years but why would the punctures be in different areas - I always line the valve up with the writing so it`s easier to check for nicks and what not

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Just checked the outside of the tyre and there are a fair few of these small cracks - I suspect they may be causing the punctures but not entirely sure how. Will put another tyre on tomorrow - got a fair few in the shed, all in various states!
DSC_0089.JPG

If it was on the turbo, and wasn’t caused by a previously picked up / hidden nasty in the tyre, working itself down to the tube, it may be an issue with the rim tape, or the carcass of the tyre has failed, and you’ve got a bulge in the tyre that you haven’t spotted. The carcass failure issue isn’t unknown on roller type turbos, as the tyre can get quite warm. If you take the problem tyre off, and wipe round the inside with a piece of cotton wool, anything sharp in there that you haven’t spotted, will snag the cotton wool, and you’ll know where it is, because there will be a bit of cotton wool stuck to the nasty.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It 's a good job you weren't far from home . :laugh:
@Sharky

OP
OP
Sunny Portrush
Just an update - the problem did seem to be the turbo tyre - it`s been on for at least three years although not in constant use - a new "old" tyre has been put on and works fine - I`ll pay more attention to the state of the tyre now

Top Bottom