Not quite unwanted Xmas pressies! Carbon bars and stem! Any real benefits?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bongo Bill

Mrs Bongo Bill surprised me at Christmas by getting me a very nice Ritchey WCS Carbon Riser handlebar and a matching carbon stem. I was hoping for an Ipod but it was still a very nice surprise! :smile:

The new kit is meant to replace my Easton bar and Easton stem both of which are alloy. My bike is a commuter only. Other than the replacements being lighter and prettier will the carbon be up to the rigors of a 15 mile daily commute through the streets of London?

Cheers all.

lukesdad

Benefits No. As to weight you can get light alloy components. But thye will stand up to your commute OK I reckon.

lukesdad

Sorry about that reply had a2 year old screaming in my ear. They would certainly be strong enough as they are probably only strengthened with carbon wrap.Hence you can get lighter alloy components scandium for instance.

OP
OP
B

Bongo Bill

lukesdad said:
Sorry about that reply had a2 year old screaming in my ear. They would certainly be strong enough as they are probably only strengthened with carbon wrap.Hence you can get lighter alloy components scandium for instance.

Thank you. They certainly look nice. My Easton stuff certainly has a lot of life in them. As there were a pressie I cannot flog them on Ebay as that would certainly hurt Mrs Bongo Bill's feelings. I have just reading up on how to cut/trim the carbon bars. Do not breath the dust it says!

Norm

Bongo Bill said:
Do not breath the dust it says!
Very good advice! The fibres are incredibly strong and cutting them makes for a very fine dust. You do not want to be breathing that stuff.

GrasB

Veteran
IIRC that stuff is fairly expensive genuine carbon fibre with metal inserts to provide extra strength where it's hard to make the carbon strong enough. It should be more than up to the job & help keep the vibration down a bit.

Thing is though if you want to use bar-ends then trimming the handle bars may well not be the best idea.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In principle, alloy bars will break sooner or later through metal fatigue, and most manufacturers will only give a few year's warranty on them. If they do break, it's potentially a nasty injury, though when mine broke I got away with it OK.

Easton aluminum handlebars are warranted for five (5) years from date of purchase. Easton carbon fiber handlebars are warranted for lifetime.

GrasB

Veteran
One thing I want to know is how well scandium compares to aluminium & steel for failure. Generally with the latter it gives you some warning where as the former suddenly gives.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
"Scandium" bars are aluminium, but with some (0.1% - 0.5%) scandium in as an alloying element.
I would work on the basis that the failure mode is the same.

02GF74

Über Member
^^^ carbon bars my have reinforcement in the ends to take bar ends - so if you are'nt going to fit them, go ahead and trim them down.

ofcourse any alteration will invalidate the guarantee.

be aware that fancy bike parts will attract the attention of thieves.

Top Bottom