Not sure how true this is

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
kennykool said:
Yes that is a great loss to the Tour but I suppose it COULD leave the door open for Cavendish to take Green this year??????????

Or is that just wishful thinking?????????
I don't think he'll be riding, because of the need to prepare for the Olympics.

Dave5N hit the nail on the head for me - I can sort of see the rationale behind the ASO decision etc, but recreational use (whose effects won't benefit him in competition) seems to me to be distinct from drug use for the purposes of cheating in competition.

kennykool

Oh yeah....the Olympics - forgot about those!

rich p

ridiculous old lush
kennykool said:
Oh yeah....the Olympics - forgot about those!

He may do the first week according to the Comic but apparently there are only 2 out and out sprint stages before the Pyrenees and he may not want to drag himself over them after the Giro effort.

girofan

mondobongo said:
ASO have said 'Non' to Boonen riding the Tour this year, can't say that I am too surprised. Hardline approach is going to be the way forward I think.

Three cheers for ASO doing that which the UCI should be implementing. :rolleyes:
I have been a Boonen supporter since his days on the Armstrong team,:tongue: but his recent behaviour does nothing but confirm the public perception of cycle sport. He's young and will make mistakes, but he must realise that every action has a consequence and he must be prepared to pay the price.

kennykool

You're quite right RichP he only took part in the first week of last weeks Tour - I was actually surprised he finished the Giro - great effort.

George Hincapie is certainly "Biggin him Up" saying he reckons he'll follow his performance at the Giro with a stage win at the Tour....we'll have to wait and see if he rides.

As for Boonen Girofan - I am a big fan and as I've already said it's a big loss to the Tour but he's 27....hardly a young boy now is he!!!!!!

The fact that this story has been reported annoys me slightly!!!

Question for everyone - can anyone tell me why Chris Hoy isn't a rider in the tour or other similar events - surley he could crush some of the boys in a sprint with those 27 inch thighs he riding with?????

Tetedelacourse

He wouldn't get to the finish of a stage with the pack Kenny. Totally different discipline to 1km on the track, as you can see by way of how strong UK are in the velodrome and how weak (relatively) UK presence in the pro peloton is.

If Cav rides the tour, I'd put my mortgage on him not getting to Paris. Although he'd have a great chance of a stage win early on.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
kennykool said:
Question for everyone - can anyone tell me why Chris Hoy isn't a rider in the tour or other similar events - surley he could crush some of the boys in a sprint with those 27 inch thighs he riding with?????

I'm sure he could outsprint them over 500m but he's got to do the other 200k every day first!

IIRC he did the etape a couple of years ago in a pretty average time.

kennykool

Interesting...just wondered as clearly Braddley Wiggins does well in the velodrome and ok on the road...well he gets to Paris in the Tour!

Must admit after the Etape I have a whole new found respect for the Pro boys - I mean they have to do more than the Etape EVERYDAY plus they ride a "little" faster than we do ha ha...Amazing!!

Tetedelacourse

yeah but they get paid to do it!

Top Bottom