'Not the marrying type'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My daughter and her partner have been together for14 years and have never considered getting married.

They now have a one year old daughter, and it's made them think of financial considerations such as pensions and inheritance rights, which are complicated by the fact he owns a property in France. They are seriously looking at a civil partnership.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
What is the difference between the two?
Marriage has a traditional concept of ownership, mainly the wife being the property of the husband. I know it isn't like that anymore but it still makes me uncomfortable. Plus the Catholic Church are dead against civil partnerships which swings it for me.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
(or if anyone else should take leave of theirs..)

"Living in sin" sounds like so much more fun than dull old 'Wife n Husband' doncha think though?

I don't even think Hesus would mind so very much either, he always struck me as a bit of an anything goes, free n easy party type of guy tbh..

If you mean Jesus Christ, he didn't seem all that easy going to me. He seemed rather irascible to me. To be fair, if he had heard people criticize a couple for not actually being married (or maybe even of the same sex) he would have weighed in to defend them. OTOH, if he heard a man consider himself better than another for never having been unfaithful to his wife and for never having biffed her up, he would have said he was just as bad for having lusted after other women, or having lost his temper with her.

Reactions: C R

Drago

Legendary Member
With all the death, starvation, and suffering the in the world I'm dismayed that anyone, never mind those in positions of power or authority, would waste time on this sort of thing.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you mean Jesus Christ, he didn't seem all that easy going to me. He seemed rather irascible to me. To be fair, if he had heard people criticize a couple for not actually being married (or maybe even of the same sex) he would have weighed in to defend them. OTOH, if he heard a man consider himself better than another for never having been unfaithful to his wife and for never having biffed her up, he would have said he was just as bad for having lusted after other women, or having lost his temper with her.

You're probs right.

I'm doing that usual lefty Liberal thang, of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

When in fact he was just the usual type - promulgating double standards, oppressinging of the wimmin whenever he got he got chance, an upholding of the Patriachy.

Yaaboo Jesus!! No more positive spin, easy leeway from me I'm afraid .

Water into wine* or no..

* I can do this anyhow..
Just add grape concentrate and leave to ferment for a while... Hic (!)

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
With all the death, starvation, and suffering the in the world I'm dismayed that anyone, never mind those in positions of power or authority, would waste time on this sort of thing.

Waste time effort and money on fancy pants marriagey business?

"I'd agree, far better, and more useful ways of spending one's money, and energy :okay:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Marriage has a traditional concept of ownership, mainly the wife being the property of the husband. I know it isn't like that anymore but it still makes me uncomfortable. Plus the Catholic Church are dead against civil partnerships which swings it for me.

Those would roughly be my feelings about the whole thing too..

'Husbandry' is what you do to animals :rolleyes:

gbb

Legendary Member
I like the idea for a particular reason. I'm happily married but consider this....
We're not religious, when my father died, we arranged a civil funeral, no religious input apart from what we thought was appropriate...am I being simplistic in supposing a civil wedding ceremony gives you what you need without the religious input .

Slick

Guru
I like the idea for a particular reason. I'm happily married but consider this....
We're not religious, when my father died, we arranged a civil funeral, no religious input apart from what we thought was appropriate...am I being simplistic in supposing a civil wedding ceremony gives you what you need without the religious input .
I thought that at first but there's no religion involved down the registry office.

gbb

Legendary Member
That's a strange idea to me, marriage has a traditional concept of ownership ?
I dont doubt in times gone by this may have had a wider audience but surely only a tiny proportion of men even remotely think this way anymore. The vast vast majority of people enter into marriage because they want to be together, to build a life with meaning and we should be glad for anyone that does, via marriage or civil ceremony.
Even accepting it may have had negative connotations years ago, it wouldnt make me uncomfortable. Still, we're all different, life would be boring if we were all the same.:okay:

Top Bottom