'Not the marrying type'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why isn't it possible?

Are divorced couples not allowed to subsequently have a civil partnership? I haven't read up on the rules.
Getting the divorce is the harder part!
:biggrin:

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
That's a strange idea to me, marriage has a traditional concept of ownership ?
I dont doubt in times gone by this may have had a wider audience but surely only a tiny proportion of men even remotely think this way anymore. The vast vast majority of people enter into marriage because they want to be together, to build a life with meaning and we should be glad for anyone that does, via marriage or civil ceremony.
Even accepting it may have had negative connotations years ago, it wouldnt make me uncomfortable. Still, we're all different, life would be boring if we were all the same.:okay:

I'm wondering @gbb if you're a guy?

Respect if you choose not to answer of course.

But as a sweeping generalisation (typical:rolleyes:) I've usually found it's men who often don't grasp the modern person's antipathy to all the 'cultural baggage' associated with marriage, even if it's not done that way any more.

Fwiw I could far more imagine myself undertaking civil partnership.

- Although mainly for the legal convenience side of things - I don't think a piece of paper makes any partnership any more or less successful, or committed.

Whereas I'd have a deep aversion to the idea of being 'married'.

Like you say, wouldn't it be dull if we were all the same, but it does seem to bring up quite a lot if 'stuff' for many ppl, for a vast array of reasons..

At almost every wedding I've been to, a man has ceremonially given a woman away to another man.

That's generous. Some societies make the woman pay a dowry.:whistle:

Joking aside, if I was considering committing to one person in this day and age I would definitely prefer a civil ceremony.

And as the father of a non-bride, it's much cheaper and less hassle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
At almost every wedding I've been to, a man has ceremonially given a woman away to another man.

Thankfully there's been none of that malarkey at any I've attended in the last five years or so.

But tbh I'm a bit selective as to which I'll attend these days.

First I need to know who's doing the music, and what's the food and drink going to be like.

Those DIY 'bring a dish' in a field ones are usually OK.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
You're probs right.

I'm doing that usual lefty Liberal thang, of giving him the benefit of the doubt.

When in fact he was just the usual type - promulgating double standards, oppressinging of the wimmin whenever he got he got chance, an upholding of the Patriachy.

Yaaboo Jesus!! No more positive spin, easy leeway from me I'm afraid .

Water into wine* or no..

* I can do this anyhow..
Just add grape concentrate and leave to ferment for a while... Hic (!)
Jesus performed that water into wine trick at a wedding. Would he have bothered with a civil partnership ceremony?

This man you're contemplating entering this quasi-marital state with: how does he score for not being in the patriarchy, and what's the pass mark? 85%, 70%

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
He was a criminal, smashed up the temple.
The Romans nailed some sense into him.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I married mrs Lon after a near death episode, give her security and make her very happy.

She had a horrible divorce and fought very hard to keep her house.

We were very happy all living at mine, I'm not religious nor is my wife.

The problem with our law is when one of you die, if your married its a lot simpler i believe.
Wills and probate ect.

To be honest i think all this marriage thing is a lot of hype.
If your happy stay together if not just move on.

Too many put up with something someone that they dont want or love.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I very much do not like the idea of 'marriage'. If I had my way, all marriages would be replaced by civil partnerships. If a couple wanted a religious blessing on top of that, fair enough, but it wouldn't have any legal relevance.

Not that it really makes any difference to me, since not only am I not the marrying type, I am also not a civil partnership type, or even an un-civil partnership type! :laugh:

Top Bottom