'Not the marrying type'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Jesus performed that water into wine trick at a wedding. Would he have bothered with a civil partnership ceremony?

This man you're contemplating entering this quasi-marital state with: how does he score for not being in the patriarchy, and what's the pass mark? 85%, 70%

Where did I say I was contemplating??

I dunno about Jesus's party trick.

But I reckon he'd have been popular at most events.

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Getting the divorce is the harder part!
:biggrin:

It's kinda weird how it's much harder to get out of the arrangement, than into it.

That needs evening up a bit I'd say..

Julia9054

Guru
This all got me googling as not all marriages have a religious element to the ceremony - indeed it is not allowed in registry office style weddings. Anyway it seems that the 2 differences between a civil partnership and a marriage with a civil ceremony is that there is no exchanging of vows and to dissolve a civil partnership you can’t use adultery as a reason.
In terms of legal rights etc they are the same.
So now I know.

Rocky

Hello decadence
I married the Prof 33 years ago. We had a short wedding ceremony with a small group of friends and immediate family in Cambridge before driving up to the Yorkshire Dales. We did the Yorkshire Dales triathlon the next day. The Prof won the women’s race and beat me by over 30 mins even though I did a PB. I was so proud of her.....and I still am.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Marriage doesn't have to be religious based.
The ex and I did it because of the romance of it.
Same with my fiancee. She wants the big day...white dress...flowers...the lot.
To us, the idea of a civil partnership is very 'formal' and dull.

We got married in the registry office, hunny moon in Norwich, £500 all in :laugh: nothing dull about that...

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
We got married in the registry office, hunny moon in Norwich, £500 all in :laugh: nothing dull about that...
Same with the ex and I sort of.
Registry office (she still had the dress) and went to Blackpool with our youngest for the night. Didn't even stay the night coz it was crap, missed the last train and paid £95 for a taxi home.
Ahhh the memories :biggrin:

tom73

Guru
However one inequality still remains Humanist celebrants are still not legally in England able to conduct a marriage or partnership ceremony.
Later the month they are trying yet again in the Lords to vote it in. Have to hope the "Lords Spiritual" won't play games again and let it pass.
In scotland Humanist Marriage is now 2rd only to church ones.

Slick

Guru
However one inequality still remains Humanist celebrants are still not legally in England able to conduct a marriage or partnership ceremony.
Later the month they are trying yet again in the Lords to vote it in. Have to hope the "Lords Spiritual" won't play games again and let it pass.
In scotland Humanist Marriage is now 2rd only to church ones.
My neighbour recently registered as a celebrant and is now able to officiate at weddings and funerals.

Not really my thing but any I have attended were well received.

Julia9054

Guru
To us, the idea of a civil partnership is very 'formal' and dull.
We went with formal and dull! Registry office and immediate family only followed by pub lunch. Got the giggles because the registrar seemed really affronted that we didn't have wedding rings! My dad didnt help by pulling faces at me to try and make me laugh throughout (his standard m.o. for every school concert I had ever been in) but I actually lost it at "and if you had had rings, you would have exchanged them now!"

Had a massive party with friends and extended family when first child was born. In terms of significant life events, that one seemed much more life altering!

tom73

Guru
My neighbour recently registered as a celebrant and is now able to officiate at weddings and funerals.

Not really my thing but any I have attended were well received.
Yes they can officiate at a humanist celebration of a marriage they can't conduct a full ceremony in the same way a minister or registrar can.
So as it stand's a humanist celebration of a marriage has no legal standing. For it be so you have to have a civil or church service too.
Which partly defeats the object really not to mention the inequality for humanists like me.

Slick

Guru
Yes they can officiate at a humanist celebration of a marriage they can't conduct a full ceremony in the same way a minister or registrar can.
So as it stand's a humanist celebration of a marriage has no legal standing. For it be so you have to have a civil or church service too.
Which partly defeats the object really not to mention the inequality for humanists like me.
Ah, didn't know that about weddings. I have attended one and just assumed that it was a done deal like any other ceremony but maybe the couple either accepted the legal standing or did the registry office thing later.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
We got married at a register office with just close family, then had a church blessing for wider family and friends. Mostly because we got married outside our church parish as my wife’s parents were elderly by this point, and we didn’t want them to have to travel far.

The church was in walking distance of the reception where I met a few of the guests, after the register office, before I walked over with the best man and ushers. One of my uncles, bless him, said “I suppose I’m too late to object to the marriage now”.

A number of the guests enjoyed ringing the church bells after.

Civil Partnership must be different to marriage in some way. The father handing over the bride isn’t something you see in a register office. Then what you do at the reception is up to the couple.

Top Bottom