'Not the marrying type'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Another thread got me musing.

Now that heterosexual couples are allowed to enter into civil partnerships, would some folks on here consider doing that instead of getting married?

I've never been the marrying type myself, for a variety of reasons.

But the availability of a 'civil partnership' alternative feels more modern, and equitable, and comes with less of the 'baggage' associated with trad nuptuals.

Plus of course in a 'Civil' Partnership theres a 'no swearing at each other' clause built in as standard :angel:

Has anyone on here tied the knot this way, or considered doing it??

If it were possible, we'd divorce and then go for a civil partnership.

I’m not particularly interested in tying any knots. I’d rather do the civil partnership thing, should I ever take leave of my senses though.

Julia9054

Guru
I always say I got married for "immigration" purposes!
My boyfriend got a job in Zimbabwe - "you can come if you like!"
I would have only been able to stay 6 months if unmarried so we got married. We were very young, we had no married friends and it hadn't even crossed our radar. Being a feminist of my generation, it felt like a very odd thing to do so yes, if civil partnerships had been around at the time and gave us the same legal status we would definitely have done that instead

OP
OP
mudsticks

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Isn't it still living in sin? I don't have my reading glasses on.
I’m not particularly interested in tying any knots. I’d rather do the civil partnership thing, should I ever take leave of my senses though.
(or if anyone else should take leave of theirs..)

"Living in sin" sounds like so much more fun than dull old 'Wife n Husband' doncha think though?

I don't even think Hesus would mind so very much either, he always struck me as a bit of an anything goes, free n easy party type of guy tbh..

Drago

Legendary Member
Legally or morally, what's the real difference? I'm quite happy being married.

The civil partnerships came about to give same sex couples some (but not quite all, at the time) rights of married couples to same sex couples and give them the opportunity to express a legal commitment to their partner, while dodging the then thorny issue of same sex marriage. I'm sure some straight folk might go for it, but what's the point if you could just get married anyway?

But he ho, live and let live. If people would rather do it that way and its doesn't hurt anyone else then they can go for it.

Top Bottom