Not using an indicator has become the majority now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A few weeks a go i was waiting at a mini roundabout when i police car approached from the right. He turned left without indicating so i waved at him and pointed at his indicator. I was half expecting him to turn back and "have a word with me"but he didn't. Probably because he knew he was in the wrong.

clockman

Über Member
I see it all the time and it happened to me this morning, on roundabouts - they can't be arsed if turning off, even though it helps people get moving,
On rural roads where it is quieter and a car is turning say right, no oncoming traffic, just me behind, car just swings right without notice.

The Rules
Mirror - Signal - Manoeuvre

The Reality
Manoeuvre, mirror, horn

If there is no-one else around, only you behind, why would they need to signal. Only if you where in a car and overtaking as you approached the road on the right, (which you shouldn't be doing anyway), would they need to signal!
If you where riding a bike, you must being doing some speed and/or doing something really stupid for a solitary car driver, ahead of you, with (as you state) nothing else around, again why would they need to signal. How would it inconvenience you?
If you are going to quote the M-S-M routine, at least find out how it should be applied properly.
You check the mirrors to see if you need to give a signal before starting or proceeding with a manoeuvre.
In the instance you quoted, I can see no need for the driver to signal, given the word picture you've described.
Where the brake lights illuminated? If the answer is yes, then they would have given a signal. As they where approaching a road on the right, with only you behind, the brake lights came on, slowing the car, you should be anticipating that they maybe turning. Could it also be that the offside rear indicator bulb had failed?
Something else to think on. Is your road craft so perfect, all the time, that you never do something that is not how others would do it?
Somehow, I doubt it. I know mine isn't. I make mistakes, we're all human. AND nobody would have been hurt.

Globalti

Legendary Member
For a cyclist the most dangerous consequence of unthinking signalling is the assumption that you've signalled so now you have the right to go. How many times have you seen a cyclist bumbling down a road, sticking out a hand and wobbling without checking across the path of traffic? If I'm going to turn right in traffic I check behind, wait for a suitable gap, check again then make a signal while moving out in a positive and deliberate way while checking over my shoulder to make sure the following driver has started to slow down. Drivers respect positive signalling and immediate action; if you don't follow your signal immediately with bold action they will assume you're dithering and squeeze past.

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
It really boils my urine when people don't indicate. Sometimes it's merely inconvenient, other times it's damn dangerous!

AND Yes I'd say it is now the majority that either never indicate or rarely indicate.

albion

Guru
There is one fast roundabout I use where I get stuck on the traffic island unable to cross for ages because there is no guarantee the the cars are passing not turning left into my path.

Most eventually signal when they see my flashing light but by then their speed makes it too late to cross safely.
I understand that whilst seriously dangerous there is no enforcement. Again here, automatic cameras would save lives.

People have to signal to pass their test so why is it condoned?

mick1836

Über Member
I don't know why they bother fitting indicators to cars as no one seems to use them these days. They even have the audacity to hoot their horn at you when you pull out in front of them on a roundabout because they havent inicated right

No, drivers only switch on their hazard lights in order to park on yellow lines these days.

Dark46

Veteran
I drive at times for a living and driven in my previous job I drove all the time. You just wouldn't believe some of the things I've seen on the roads because people don't indicate to let you know what they are going to do next. On urban roads stopping about a roundabout as there is someone approaching from your right with no indicators going and they turn left is bloody annoying and frustrating. The other thing I hate darkened windows as you can't see if the driver has seen you or even looked your way before they pull out!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I took a motorcycle course run by the West Mercia Police many years ago when I was 17 at my dad's very sensible insistence.

The cop teaching us asked the group what a flashing left indicator means on a vehicle.

Quick as a flash we all chorus "it's turning left".

"No," he countered... "It means that vehicle's indicator works."
Sorry to go off topic a bit but instruction and tests have changed considerably over the years so you would have thought peoples driving would be better. I remember taking my motorcycle test when I was about 20. The examiner made me ride around in a circuit and unexpectedly jumped out from behind a parked car for my emergency stop!

Dark46

Veteran
Sorry to go off topic a bit but instruction and tests have changed considerably over the years so you would have thought peoples driving would be better. I remember taking my motorcycle test when I was about 20. The examiner made me ride around in a circuit and unexpectedly jumped out from behind a parked car for my emergency stop!
That's what happened to my Dad on his test , but he jumped out from behind a tree! Yep he ran him over lol.
Yep he FAILED!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In Norfolk people do indicate. They don't necessarily go the way the indicators are flashing but you know that they are going to do something at some point. Sometimes they let you know that they are going to turn one way or another for miles and miles and miles.

I have thought for a while that indicator non use has been on the rise. It seems that the more luxury cars don't come with them any more. The Beemers, The Mercs and the Audi-doodys etc. I just cannot understand people being so lazy as not to use them. Then again we are becoming a more insular society where only "I" matter and nobody else does. (Not me personally you understand but it seems to be how people think nowadays).
Reminds me of one my other favourite quotes
"Everyone wants rights but no one wants responsibilities "
Me and Mrs CK call where we live
The land of the lost incas indicators

Ganymede

Veteran
I always indicate even if I don't perceive a vehicle or cyclist around. Just because I haven't perceived anyone doesn't mean they might not turn up, at speed or otherwise. And what about pedestrians? Where I live (very rural but with a comparatively large population) people are always turning into their drives without signalling - I think they think that even if someone is around it doesn't matter as they must recognise their car and know they live there so of course they're going to be turning.

mick1836

Über Member
Drivers use to be trained to indicate automatically at junctions and the like, I was trained in my occupation to signal ONLY if there was another road user to benefit from such signal, that meant that you had to be giving 100% concentration on your driving or riding.
Drivers and riders these days are to lazy to flick a little switch that may benefit others. :sad:

GrasB

Veteran
In an ideal world this is true. However with many motorists not paying attention (for many reasons) I always indicate when overtaking a bicycle.
if the driver behind needs a warning that there's a cyclist they're driving in a careless manner at best.
if a following vehicle can hurt someone, I'll will try to make it bleeding obvious to everyone what I am doing.
any vehicle can always hurt someone. It's the responsibility of the operator to make sure they're using it in a safe manner. The irony of this whole indicator debate is that if everyone drove safely then indicators wouldn't be needed as any action on the information given out would already have been compensated for.

doug

Veteran
if the driver behind needs a warning that there's a cyclist they're driving in a careless manner at best.

However, you cannot be certain the following driver is driving in careful and observant manner, so it is best to give them prior warning you are about to overtake. It may make them pay attention when they weren't before. It costs nothing more than a small flick of a finger or sticking an arm out, so unless a signal is ambiguous or actually going to cause danger or inconvenience to someone you might as well do it.

any vehicle can always hurt someone. It's the responsibility of the operator to make sure they're using it in a safe manner. The irony of this whole indicator debate is that if everyone drove safely then indicators wouldn't be needed as any action on the information given out would already have been compensated for.

If everyone drove safely then indicators become potentially even more useful than they are at the moment, since at that point they can be relied on to indicate the actual intention of the road user rather than just the likelihood of their intention.

Top Bottom