Not using an indicator has become the majority now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I have noticed that when im a passenger with someone that doesnt indicate the get angry at others that dont indicate.

But yeah... seems to be on the rise.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I see it all the time and it happened to me this morning, on roundabouts - they can't be arsed if turning off, even though it helps people get moving,
On rural roads where it is quieter and a car is turning say right, no oncoming traffic, just me behind, car just swings right without notice.

The Rules
Mirror - Signal - Manoeuvre

The Reality
Manoeuvre, mirror, horn

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
+ if people drove slower round roundabouts, 30kph/20mph, people approaching could give way and filter in without stopping, the way they were designed to work, speeding up the traffic flow and reducing congestion.... morons who don't indicate their intentions who drive as fast as they can around them just mess everything up... selfish drivers don't let others filter in anymore. Mind you you can tell where they are going by their body position, the position of their hands on the wheel and where they are looking.... makes life simpler for filtering on a bike as long as you watch their eyes!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
It's even worse down here as you can probably imagine. But what is really annoying is indicating when you are right on the junction. A combination of poor instruction and being able to "buy" your license!

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Here in Australia all cars are fitted with confirmators. Indicators are, like, you know, so last millennium :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
In Norfolk people do indicate. They don't necessarily go the way the indicators are flashing but you know that they are going to do something at some point. Sometimes they let you know that they are going to turn one way or another for miles and miles and miles.

I have thought for a while that indicator non use has been on the rise. It seems that the more luxury cars don't come with them any more. The Beemers, The Mercs and the Audi-doodys etc. I just cannot understand people being so lazy as not to use them. Then again we are becoming a more insular society where only "I" matter and nobody else does. (Not me personally you understand but it seems to be how people think nowadays).

This often happens on country roads where there is nobody much about and the driver is in familiar territory. Exactly where us cyclists are likely to be.

My usual explanation for the lack of signals is that they simply don't see a cycle as traffic that needs to be informed (if at all of course!). Though the other day, when I wanted to know which way a car behind our group was going at a T junction, as I would have waited if he was going our way to let him past. No signal. He was on the phone. Amazed he gets a signal out there to be honest!

Globalti

Legendary Member
I don't indicate when there's nobody who needs to know what I'm doing - for example if I'm on an empty country lane and turning off, I won't indicate. OTOH if there's anybody, driver, pedestrian, horse rider or cyclist, who needs to know what I am planning to do I will indicate. Knowing who is around you and likely to be affected by your manoeuvres is just part of good observation and anticipation and courteous driving and there's nothing worse than a driver who you see pootling down the empty roads of their estate signalling blindly at every turn; that tells me they don't understand the proper use of indicators and they haven't a clue what is going on around them.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Dinner party chat locally suggests use of left hand indicator on car usually results in following must-get-past nobber-driver executing overtake regardless and thus many now prefer to spring left turns on folk.

gavgav

Guru
I don't know why they bother fitting indicators to cars as no one seems to use them these days. They even have the audacity to hoot their horn at you when you pull out in front of them on a roundabout because they havent inicated right

GrasB

Veteran
I'd prefer if most people who do indicate didn't because 50-60% of the time their indication is actually wrong or confusing. I tend to ignore the indicator as there are much more reliable ways of working out what a driver wants to do.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
And what about Cars indicating to overtake cyclists - some do, some don't.

I appreciate cars that do, though I also appreciate that is not always necessary if there are no other cars around.

Indicating an overtake of a cyclist:
1. Helps following cars behind you know there is a cyclist ahead
2. Helps oncoming traffic aware of the car manouvreing out, and possible further cars doing likewise.

Top Bottom