Not using an indicator has become the majority now?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
And what about Cars indicating to overtake cyclists - some do, some don't.

I appreciate cars that do, though I also appreciate that is not always necessary if there are no other cars around.

Indicating an overtake of a cyclist:
1. Helps following cars behind you know there is a cyclist ahead
2. Helps oncoming traffic aware of the car manouvreing out, and possible further cars doing likewise.
In both cases given the reason to indicate is due to careless driving.
1. If I need a warning to tell me someone was pulling out around something then I'm too close to the vehicle in front.
2. If I need to give warning to the oncoming traffic then I didn't leave enough space for the manoeuvre to be completed safely.

The reason you indicate is to show you are going to change lanes & so the person behind doesn't commit to the same manoeuvre you're about to do.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't know why they bother fitting indicators to cars as no one seems to use them these days. They even have the audacity to hoot their horn at you when you pull out in front of them on a roundabout because they havent inicated right
That one used to REALLY boil my pi55 when driving a fully loaded artic which takes a bit of notice to get moving! You come to a roundabout and see a car approachin from the opposite direction and it's not indicating. I assume it's going straight ahead so I pull onto the roundabout only for the nobber to turn right with one hand on the horn.
They always got a "wave" from me.
Same goes when they approach the roundabout from your right without indicating. You have to assume they are going straight on so you stop, then they turn left. If they had gone to all the trouble of indicating, you could have kept the traffic flowing and saved fuel by not stopping. Selfish nobbers, each and every one of them.

David Higson

It seems only fair, as I've noticed, especially in Manchester city centre, that many cyclists don't indicate either.
I'm passed being phased by this. My driving instructor told me never to believe any flashing lights until the action was taken anyway. Some people leave them on, some indicate the wrong direction, some don't indicate at all and others use hand signals. Audi and BMW make decorative but non-functional indicators and anything looking like a bus lights up like Blackpool illuminations only after they manoeuvre. Treat all other road users (four and two wheeled) as potential ram raiders and you'll be fine.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Indicators seem to be used far more now all 4 together when parked on double yellow lines or other awkward & illegal places. I assume that they are some sort of code to the initiated that the apparently selfish/illegal parker has some sort of exemption certificate allowing them to park wherever they like and in a way that would mark them out as a a**e under normal circumstances

Geoff Crowther

"... travel far, not fast", Ted Simon
I don't indicate when there's nobody who needs to know what I'm doing - for example if I'm on an empty country lane and turning off, I won't indicate. OTOH if there's anybody, driver, pedestrian, horse rider or cyclist, who needs to know what I am planning to do I will indicate. Knowing who is around you and likely to be affected by your manoeuvres is just part of good observation and anticipation and courteous driving and there's nothing worse than a driver who you see pootling down the empty roads of their estate signalling blindly at every turn; that tells me they don't understand the proper use of indicators and they haven't a clue what is going on around them.
Totally agree, as does the Institute of Advanced Motorists.
As with many things, it's a question of training and, importantly, keeping your skills up to date.
Too many drivers see driving as, "just something they do", without giving their skill level any consideration.
Dunno what the answer is. P'raps making further training mandatory after a number of years ... maybe 10?
I did advanced training as a motorcyclist, in my 50s, but much of it transfers to cars (and, dare I say it, bicycles) cos I knew my skills were somewhat lacking when riding a powerful machine ... and a recognition of my vulnerability.
In summary, most folks are unable to be self-analytical in any meaningful way. They don't "think" about driving, much less, consider how good, or bad, they are.
Rant over.

I thought some EU directive had removed indicators from most modern cars. What is amusing is when they do indicate its usually just after they have nearly run you over, like some sort of guilty you cant say i didn't indicate after thought.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Totally agree, as does the Institute of Advanced Motorists.

Even so, not indicating when turning just feels completely wrong - even if I know there's no one around I just can't bring myself to not bother indicating. Too ingrained I guess.

Non signalling does seem to be getting worse though. On roundabouts especially. I wonder if it's some kind of dumb bravado thing. Indicating is for softies or summat.

I may have been known to stop on my bike infront of non indicating drivers turning right on roundabouts and tell them to f@cking signal. Usually Volvos if course. I would not recommend it but makes me feel better!

ShipHill

I took a motorcycle course run by the West Mercia Police many years ago when I was 17 at my dad's very sensible insistence.

The cop teaching us asked the group what a flashing left indicator means on a vehicle.

Quick as a flash we all chorus "it's turning left".

"No," he countered... "It means that vehicle's indicator works."

sheddy

Legendary Member
In both cases given the reason to indicate is due to careless driving.
1. If I need a warning to tell me someone was pulling out around something then I'm too close to the vehicle in front.
2. If I need to give warning to the oncoming traffic then I didn't leave enough space for the manoeuvre to be completed safely.

The reason you indicate is to show you are going to change lanes & so the person behind doesn't commit to the same manoeuvre you're about to do.

In an ideal world this is true. However with many motorists not paying attention (for many reasons) I always indicate when overtaking a bicycle.
if a following vehicle can hurt someone, I'll will try to make it bleeding obvious to everyone what I am doing.

ayceejay

Guru
Let's all just think about this statement for a minute
I don't indicate when there's nobody who needs to know what I'm doing
that several people have agreed with as I think it might be the justification selfish egotistical drivers have been looking for.
If anyone on this board is expecting any level of politeness when out on the road they were born fifty years too late and I believe signalling the way it is meant to work is a prime example of a lack of politeness.When someone uses their flashing indicators here in Quebec it is an aggressive sign that means "I am turning watch out" serving the same purpose as the horn.
That rant out of the way here's another one: 'give way' signs or 'yield' signs as they are called here, in the twenty years I have lived in Quebec I have never seen anyone yield and if anyone notices the sign at all they interpret it the opposite way round.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I don't indicate when there's nobody who needs to know what I'm doing - for example if I'm on an empty country lane and turning off, I won't indicate. OTOH if there's anybody, driver, pedestrian, horse rider or cyclist, who needs to know what I am planning to do I will indicate. Knowing who is around you and likely to be affected by your manoeuvres is just part of good observation and anticipation and courteous driving and there's nothing worse than a driver who you see pootling down the empty roads of their estate signalling blindly at every turn; that tells me they don't understand the proper use of indicators and they haven't a clue what is going on around them.

Strange that you think there's no one around to see them... you were G. Perhaps they don't when there's no one to see, just like you.
I indicate without consciously thinking about it.... it's part of the process.... I don't separate out whether anyone may or may not see it or not. Not worth the risk.

Top Bottom