Not wearing a helmet anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
On the one hand I'm quite pleased, but on the other hand ....

Don't let him palm you off.

GC

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
One of our workers was smashed off on a roundabout by a speeding van. Hit his head on the ground. Luckily all the bruising on his brain went away & left no serious damage. 6 weeks off work though. He now uses a helmet.

There is always one that just cannot help themselves...... did you even read the opening post ?

Wobblers

Euthermic
One of our workers was smashed off on a roundabout by a speeding van. Hit his head on the ground. Luckily all the bruising on his brain went away & left no serious damage. 6 weeks off work though. He now uses a helmet.
There is always one that just cannot help themselves...... did you even read the opening post ?

Quite.

Also (and my apologies to 0-markymark-0), it seems a very strange thing that the solution to someone else's criminal incompetence should be for the victim to wear personal protective equipment, rather than the behaviour of the guilty party be moderated.

To answer the original question, I simply say to people that helmets have not been shown to be effective in injury prevention. Those who know me, know that I'm a scientist - and don't pursue the issue. I suspect they're afraid that if they do, they'll get An Explanation. Those who don't know me, and keep going, do get An Explanation. A lengthy one. It seems to work....

Drago

Legendary Member
Q. What do you come if you want to be an engineer, but find you've got 10 thumbs?

A. A scientist.

(And that's a joke - before anyone gets too het up my own postgrad parchment is a science one)

screenman

Legendary Member
If it made my wife worry more if I did not wear one then I would certainly wear one.

I have enjoyed a long and happy marriage by keeping the wife as stress free as possible, within reason of course.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I wear a helmet, it makes me look stupid
but i`m not looking for love, no arrows from cupid
I wear it because I paid 22 quid
Its a Scott Watu! a very fine lid
I have crap hair when I get to work
so says my manager, but he`s a berk
I wear it on towpath, road and trail
it is my shell, I am a snail
I dont have to wear it I know that
I know it makes me look a prat
maybe one day it`ll save my head
no one can know this let it be said
time to think outside the box
this whole argument is a paradox

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Maybe you could pacify your wife and parents by telling them you wear an helmet even if you don't. Can i ask you,would you drive without a seat belt if it was allowed?

swansonj

Guru
This is no comment on whether you should or shouldn't.

But if it makes you feel more vunerable etc etc, what's made you decide to stop? Comfort? Feel it's unnecessary?

Just interested to know, that's all.
If it makes you feel more vulnerable (and that's certainly true for me, though I'd put it the other way round - wearing a helmet gives me a (false) sense of protection), that's probably a very good reason in itself for not wearing one, for the obvious reason that it will make you a safer cyclist.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
We have umpteen threads where people can reveal the faith based nature of their choice to wear helmets already. Markymark is asking about the conversation with nearest and dearest.
True.
My very nearest and dearest never said a word about it, although it was her that asked me to get one in the first place. Friends have said I should wear one on a number of occasions then have staunchly refused to listen when I have tried to explain why I don't. I'm glad that my wife hasn't and doesn't mention it, I think she understands the arguments (I have never initiated nor do I have any intention of having a helmet debate with my wife but she is aware of various bits and bobs) and she never wears one nor has she ever suggested she get one to wear when she comes out with me.
I could imagine it would get rather depressing rather quickly to live with someone that was attacking you with a big emotional baseball bat every time you went to step out of the door.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
My wife was concerned when I decided to stop wearing a helmet. But I patiently explained my reasons, having looked at the evidence, and she understands.
She still wears one herself, and I think she would still prefer it if I did wear one, but she doesn't mention it any more.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
Some posts have been Deleted as they were moving the discussion into areas the OP specifically requested were not to be discussed in this thread.

Please keep to the topic.

Carry on ! :thumbsup:

green1

Über Member
Q. What do you come if you want to be an engineer, but find you've got 10 thumbs?

A. A scientist

(And that's a joke - before anyone gets too het up my own postgrad parchment is a science one)
It may be a joke but it's still true. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom