Novice rider anxious of riding at night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
@Carranty, how would you feel about walking in the areas you've concerns about cycling in?

I've walked through Manchester in the early hours, not always on the "main" roads either.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
eeuugghh, mind bleach now required :eek:xx(
He only got stopped cos his 'Moobs' were on display. :laugh:

I used to ride through South Manchester on my commute. My boss thought I was mad riding an expensive bike in some of the "worst" parts of Manchester. I never had any problems at all, at any time of the day or night.
I doubt many people would know how expensive the Bromptons can be, especially the moped gangs. They are after quick and easy targets.

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
It is very unlikely but not unknown, and not necessarily limited to what are seen as rough areas. I have cycled and walked around some of the reputedly worst areas of Liverpool, and walked around supposedly iffy parts of other cities, at all times of day and night without a problem.

However, several weeks ago, I was riding my bike through Birkdale in Southport, which is considered quite posh by many, when I saw 2 lads aged about 18-20, armed with pool cues, on mountain bikes at the side of the road. It was about 9.00 pm and dark, but on a well lit main road; as I glanced at them they rode out at me, one waving his pool cue and screaming like a banshee, they then chased me down the road but I easily outpaced them.

I don't know whether their intention was to rob me, assault me or if they were just acting the goat, but they had no chance of catching me due to my momentum and my bike being better designed for speed than theirs. For some reason, it didn't scare me too much to be honest, despite being a very aggressive incident. I actually felt like stopping and taking the little s**ts on, which would have been the last thing they expected, but decided to just outpace them as that was the easiest way out of the situation without risking adverse legal or physical consequences.

It hasn't put me off, I just think of it as a single isolated incident in many years of cycling, It is much more likely that you will end up in a ruck with a nobber car driver than a gang of muggers.

Top Bottom