Now I know the world's gone mad.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Trying to enforce a vegan diet on a cat is straight up cruelty. The rest of the stuff is noise, not madness.
I will say though that Shoulder of Mutton as a pub name is extremely offputting.

As a weegie I much prefer my pubs to be called things like Big Shug's Stab Inn.
You know where you stand with people who go to the pub at 10am and the bookies at 11.

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes - and the one that used to do the most disgusting craps in my stone-slabbed backyard didn't either.

Running out and screaming at the cat only put it off for a day or two. Chucking a bucket of cold water down over it from a first floor window put it off for a week. In the end I poured bleach over the slabs and it either couldn't smell where its favourite spot was or just hated the stink of the chemical; either way, that stopped it.

Old teabags soaked in Olbas oil are effective for a couple of weeks till the oil dries out or it rains. One neighbor recons mothballs are effective.

I'm a cat owner and never even thought that, much less told it to myself.

I'm quite cool with it thought. After all, my neighbours are happy to pollute my air with their needlessly big cars, so they can't complain when a bit of pollution comes their way.

Let he who has never polluted cast the first turd.
Your neighbours kids drive needlessly big cars?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Do owners of ordinary cats care whether they lose them or not ?
Of course we do, but it would be cruel to deny an outdoor cat his freedom.
Some cats have been raised exclusively indoors, they would be scared to go out.
I follow a few Cat People ^_^ on FB, from Australia and from the States: they don't let their cats out, if they do they walk them in a harness like dogs :wacko:

classic33

Leg End Member
Trying to enforce a vegan diet on a cat is straight up cruelty. The rest of the stuff is noise, not madness.
I will say though that Shoulder of Mutton as a pub name is extremely offputting.

As a weegie I much prefer my pubs to be called things like Big Shug's Stab Inn.
You know where you stand with people who go to the pub at 10am and the bookies at 11.
Bookies, am or pm?

Drago

Legendary Member
Your neighbours kids drive needlessly big cars?

My neighbours kid is 19, and he does indeed.

I often hear cat owners say that cats are free spirits.....
One thing i've noticed about cats that roam about wild and free, is that they are never pedigree cats like Siamese, Persian etc. They are just the usual bog standard cats.
I can only assume that owners of pedigree cats keep them indoors for fear of losing them, or them coming to some sort of harm. Do owners of ordinary cats care whether they lose them or not ?
I wouldn't dream of letting my dog roam free.... i'd be devastated if anything happened to him.

My pedigree Bombay goes out, as does my brown marbled Bengal. I am impressed by your zeal, but your attempts to generalise are so far off beam they make tea leaves or runes look like authoritative sources of data.

Smudge

Veteran
Of course we do, but it would be cruel to deny an outdoor cat his freedom.
Some cats have been raised exclusively indoors, they would be scared to go out.
I follow a few Cat People ^_^ on FB, from Australia and from the States: they don't let their cats out, if they do they walk them in a harness like dogs :wacko:

How do you know its cruel ?
My dog would like nothing better than to go roaming the neighbourhood wild and free..... but that doesn't mean i'm going to let him.

Drago

Legendary Member
My kids are considerably younger than that. I guess our cat owners neighbours can see the future, and are anticipating my kids getting needlessly big cars when they grow up.

I never mentioned my neighbours kids, because my neighbours don't have any.

As for pollution, you could address the point I made instead of trying to evade it - what gives anyone the moral right to complain about one type of pollution, when they freely churn out another type of pollution without a second thought? I don't know what the figures are for cat doo doo deaths nationally, but I expect they are lower than the 40,000 attributable to road traffic pollution every year, yet that doesn't stop you driving a car.

One of my neighbours did have a 13 year old daughter, and she died as a result of an asthma attack triggered by air pollution - I have to live with the feeling of failure that comes with giving CPR and failing.

When you are pollution free then the moral high ground about other forms of pollution is all yours. I wouldn't disagree, cat crap ain't nice, but it's not killing anywhere near the number of people as the forms of pollution in which you happily partake. Before bleating too loudly about other people's pollution you need to take the time for a long hard look at yourself.

Last edited:

Smudge

Veteran
My neighbours kid is 19, and he does indeed.

My pedigree Bombay goes out, as does my brown marbled Bengal. I am impressed by your zeal, but your attempts to generalise are so far off beam they make tea leaves or runes look like authoritative sources of data.

I've honestly never seen an expensive pedigree cat roaming free. I've also known a few owners of these types of cats and they dont let them out.

Pat "5mph"

How do you know its cruel ?
My dog would like nothing better than to go roaming the neighbourhood wild and free..... but that doesn't mean i'm going to let him.
Sorry, don't know anything about dogs, didn't know domesticated dogs like to roam.
Outdoor cats do like to be outdoors, they want to patrol their territory.
Unless they are sick, I would not lock an outdoor cat indoors.
Mind, when it's bed time for me the cat flap stays locked, don't fancy a half dead mouse struggle at 4am :laugh:

what gives anyone the moral right to complain about one type of pollution, when they freely churn out another type without a second thought?
I drive a tiny car, the only car in our household, chosen for its economy, and used almost exclusively for my commute to work which is too far for the bike, and not well connected by public transport.

That doesn't stop the neighbours letting their cats foul the garden my kids play in.

You mention rights to pollute. What gives anyone the right to allow something to foul someone else's property?

Pat "5mph"

My pedigree Bombay goes out, as does my brown marbled Bengal.
I am surprised: never had a pedigree cat myself, know a few pedigree cat owners though, they will not let their cats out for fear of them getting stolen.
No one would steal my moggie, he would shred to pieces anyone trying to approach him for a start!

Top Bottom