Now, I'm always punctual...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
In fact, I'm frequently early. If I have a train to catch, I'm there with 30 minutes to spare. I often cycle a 10 minute ride from work to a friend's house, knowing it takes 10 minutes, but leaving 25, 'just in case', and turning up early. To be on time, I have to make myself leave 'late'.

I excelled myself at the weekend. Last Monday, I went to a knitting circle with a friend, and the lady running it said there was a big Knitting and Stitching trade show on in Harrogate this weekend.

So we decided to go.

We were a week early.;)

We both swear she said 'this week'. The sad thing is, I checked the times and venue location on the web, and have apparently failed to notice the date...

Anyone else congenitally early or late? The problem with being early is that you start to see everyone else as late, even when they are on time...

NickM

Veteran
I am habitually bang on time (sorry). MsM is habitually in a flap and behind time, so I have to fib to her about when we are supposed to set off...

There doesn't seem to be any logical explanation for this... nor any cure!

pzycoman

I was born 2 weeks late, im late for everything. My boss wants me in at 9, I arrive at 9:45. I usually barely make it for my train, often I miss it and get the next one. When I went to frankfurt this year, I had to run though the terminal to make the flight.

Keith Oates

Janner
I fall into Arch's category and work on the catching a plane idea which is 'one hour early, no problem, one minute late, no good'.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jaded

NickM said:
I am habitually bang on time (sorry). MsM is habitually in a flap and behind time, so I have to fib to her about when we are supposed to set off...

Me too.

I used to worry and fret about this - arriving flustered and embarrased if I was a little late. After an incident a few years ago I now still arrive just in time, but I don't worry anymore. ;)

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
I'm pretty much always on time.

But for a number of years I worked with a guy who was incapable of being on time. He was totally unrealistic about how long it would take to get anywhere. Even worse was he never learnt from all these previous experiences as he would blame trivial hiccups in the journey for our entire tardiness. For instance, he would blame ten minutes spent in heavy traffic on a three hour motorway journey for being 1 hour late to a meeting.

Life (for me) was a continuous race against his ridiculous self imposed time limits, of races through air terminals to just make planes, of constantly apologising for our later arrival with clients, and of hairy car journeys including one across the snow covered Jura Mountains to Geneva airport where I was convinced we were going to die.

I can't remember the number of hire cars we have abandoned on the double yellow lines outside air terminals and just thrown the keys at the girls on the rental desk and asked them to sort it out as we were 'unavoidably delayed'. The annoying thing is that they always did and have never changed him for this extra work! It's also hard to see how his business has ever suffered by his behaviour; you just hear him discussing with people about how bad things are getting 'on the roads' and they all nod in agreement.

But it drove me mad. So I left him to it.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I'm usually 5-10 minutes early, I hate being late.

NickM said:

Is that the secret to a good marriage? ;) I have popped a form and cheque in the post to you, btw.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I'm always on time unless unforseen (traffic jams ?) circumstances jump up in your face.
If I say I'll be there for eight, then I am.
Ex Mrs. Fudd when said we would be there for eight, would then start getting ready, Used to drive me up the feckin' wall.
I think if you arrange to meet someone at a certain time and turn up late it's a virtual slap in the face to them and makes them think you don't really care about them.

Tetedelacourse

I can't stand lateness either. If I'm there on time, then everyone else should be.

Conversely, it gets my goat when, as has happened on occassion, we've invited folk round for dinner and they arrive early (like, half an hour), when you're still making vital preparations such as scrubbing the shoot off the walls or drying your good thong out, or worse, paying the delivery man for the Indian.

Tetedelacourse

ps Arch are you still going to go to Harrogate? On the occassions when I've done something like that, by the time it comes round I feel I made the effort already and so wont go. Stupid I know but there you go.

I'm very much in the Arch camp, in fact Mrs T and I both are. We habitually turn up at airports 4 hours early etc etc.

However this weekend we were scheduled to go to a birthday party at a restaurant for a 4pm start.

It's at least 1 hour away. We leave at 3.30 and I am fussing a bit. On the way I say -"why don't you phone the hostess I say to say that we will be late."

Mrs T phones the hostess, she hasn't left her house yet. She turns up an hour and a half late for her own party!!!!

We arrived about 15 mins after the appointed start time to be among the first there. Everyone else knew the hostess would be late so adjusted accordingly.

noggin

phrases I don't understand No. 45678#1

"You're nearly late"

said the nurse at a hospital appintment for 10.00am
was there at 9.58

Top Bottom