Numpty - front axle Brompton.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kell

Veteran
So, like many people, I’ve not ridden my Brompton much over the past year and a half.

We’ve only been going in to the office for a couple of months and only occasionally at that.

Anyway.

I’ve been thinking that it sounded very ‘graunchy’ at the front end. I put it down to the fact that I’ve been using my road bike during lockdown and it has better hubs - so thought that maybe they just feel poo in comparison.

A quick inspection revealed the cones on the front had worked a bit loose though, so I thought i’d give them a nip when I cleaned the drivetrain.

When I took the wheel out, I couldn’t work out why the axle seemed to be going in an oval rather than rotating in a circle.

Turns out last time I removed it for cleaning and then refitted, I must have knocked one of the bearings into the recess.

So over time it’s worn the cone down on one side, and also put a groove in the axle.

God know how long it was like this, but it must have happened so gradually I didn’t really notice it until I rode something else.

C4490804-428F-45EE-AB83-29AE649AFA24.jpeg

Oops.

Bought and fitted a new one today (local shop had one in stock).

Funnily enough, it feels a lot better now.

https://youtube.com/shorts/KOMswvqWIsc?feature=share

Last edited:

12boy

Guru
I wish the front wheels came with cartridge bearings. Those cones were hard for me to find.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I when I got a rumbling noise from my front Brompton hub I found that it had virtually no grease in it at about 6 months old.
Had obviously not been greased properly when built.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I've never seen one that wasn't slightly eccentric. The hub flanges visibly oscillate when the wheel is spun. They probably cost less than a quid from the supplier. If you think this is an exaggeration, I know someone who works in purchasing and product design who, for interest, worked out the cost of everything that goes into a £200 bike. £18.

tinywheels

Über Member
my particular bugbear is Bromptons shite components. ie those pathetic rolling wheels. I could go on,but the piss is being taken big time.
it's gonna bite them on arse one day.
a plethora of better parts exists in Asia, hubris is a dangerous thing.

OP
OP
Kell

Kell

Veteran
Anyone got any tips for keeping the cones tight?

I fitted the new axle on the 13th. and it was tight enough so there was no wobble and loose enough so it didn't jam.

Last night, when I unfolded it on the train it was pretty wobbly again.

I'd tightened the locknuts up against the cones, so didn't think they'd be able to unthread at all. And it wasn't loose in the forks.

Is threadlock the answer?

12boy

Guru
I would tighten one side cone against the holding nut as tight as I could and the thgteb the other side cone agaist nut tight as well. I am assuming you are using cone wrenches which make a big difference in my experience. By tightening the first side really tight then all adjust will only be on the other. I would not use locktite myself.

cheys03

Veteran
I only ask because it’s a mistake I have made….
did you tighten the cones and locknuts with the wheel off the bike?

my mistake once was to tighten them with the wheel in the bike, which artificially reduced the play for a bit making me think they were the proper tightness, but I was wrong.

Top Bottom