Nutrition Advice - Want to maintain weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
Same issues; 6ft2", previously 80k, BMI 22; but following diabetes diagnosis, adoption of a Low Cal, Higher Protein led to 7kg loss in weight but that has now stabilised at a loss of 5kg . My advice
  • check sugar content of foods and try to eliminate
  • check carboydrate content and reduce wherever possible (minimal potatoes, starchy vegetables such as parsnips, turnips)
  • lean meats, ham includig bacon, eggs, vegetable proteins (lentils tetc) are stronly reccommended
  • full fat dairy milk, cheese and yoghurts are acceptable
  • rye bread only (it is delicious and not expensive); white bread is normally sugar laden
Experiment and monitor the results - be patient. Good luck.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Same issues; 6ft2", previously 80k, BMI 22; but following diabetes diagnosis, adoption of a Low Cal, Higher Protein led to 7kg loss in weight but that has now stabilised at a loss of 5kg . My advice [...]
I do most of that (full fat milk just tastes slimy to me and milk upsets me anyway - and I bake bread so I vary the type) and it's pretty much in line with what the hospital dieticians suggested (they're not quite "reduce [carbs] wherever possible" but there's a definite push for protein) but my weight is still pegged to the low end and it's a constant struggle to eat enough to maintain weight.

Has anyone here succeeded at putting on weight in a good way (not just cramming with junk and knocking one's sugars and cholesterol out of whack), rather than merely stabilising?

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, in my lifting days was 5 times a day eating, punctuated with protein shakes. Chicken, more chicken ,garnished with some chicken, and lots of green veg, combined with 6 days a week lifting got me from 90ish to 120kg.

I've backed the training right off now, but I'm still careful with the diet and hovering around 115 without any undue porkiness.

mjr

Aye, in my lifting days was 5 times a day eating, punctuated with protein shakes. Chicken, more chicken ,garnished with some chicken, and lots of green veg, combined with 6 days a week lifting got me from 90ish to 120kg.
I'd like to do a little bit more upper-body stuff but I dare not while my weight is barely stable. I'm not wild on processed foods like protein shakes and there's only so much chicken and greens to eat. Maybe I'll try adding more pulses.

I'm 6'1'', weigh 11 1/2 stone and I still have a beer gut. I'm only slightly below the mid normal BMI range now but if I gave up the beer I'd simply waste away.
More beer is a nice idea but has a few drawbacks, plus the beer gut isn't exactly where I was wanting to put weight :laugh:

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm very fortunate in that I love protein shakes (Gorilla whey brand) and chicken. The monotony of the diet can really get to some 'builders but never bothered me.

mjr

Have you heard of Huel? https://huel.com/ I breakfast on this stuff. Love it.
I've heard of it and not in a good way. I'm sure it was ripped to bits on some podcast I listen to but I can't find the link right now.

Apart from various processed foods, I'm basically getting the message to add a fifth meal to my day - it's a tough task, but worth a shot :laugh:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I've heard of it and not in a good way. I'm sure it was ripped to bits on some podcast I listen to but I can't find the link right now.

Apart from various processed foods, I'm basically getting the message to add a fifth meal to my day - it's a tough task, but worth a shot :laugh:

I would be interested in the podcast too if you find it. Most grateful. I've also read about this 5 small meals instead of 3 big ones theory. It makes sense for active cyclists and physical workers like gardeners.

Top Bottom