Nutritional advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ok I'll try not to get too graphic but I've been feeling under the weather since Sunday. Thought it was just a hangover at first but....

My last substantial meal was Sunday afternoon, small roast dinner, it stayed in ok.
Monday, one sandwich (ie two slices of bread with filling) for lunch and half bowl of soup for dinner. All ok inside
Tuesday two sandwiches for lunch, no dinner. All ok but feeling like I needed to go to the loo all the time.
Today 3 sandwiches (my normal) for lunch, felt ill, all out within a couple of hours.

Fluid intake has been around 3-4 litres per day of water which is around 1 litre higher than normal.

My commute is just short of 11 miles each way and to be honest I've felt c**p physically on the bike but still find it better than on the train. On Monday I was about 6 minutes off my best each way (best=35) which puts me at the top end of my averages but not my worst. Tuesday and today I've been a couple of minutes off my best so well within what I'd expect to be normal (a wet day can put 5 minutes on easily). So the dilemma, what would people recommend of:

1. Carry on cycling in the belief that when my body needs nutrients it will take them in (appetite improve) and keep them. (My view)
2. Take a break from cycling until it sorts itself out (opposing view)

I know it's obvious what answer I want you to give but I'm interested to hear opinions.

Ta

ChrisBD

Off the bike. If you are getting rid of the (what little) food you are taking in (regardless of which end its flting out of) I'd "starve" yourself for 24h (plenty of fluids obviously) and then build your food intake bck up over the next 48hrs, starting with basic solid food; with a view to getting back on the bike at the end of 72hrs.

If after the 48hrs and a bit of plain food you are still "rough", get over to the Dr.

Only you can tell what your body is feeling; it may be that you need to get to the Dr now if you have been poorly since the weekend.

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Off the bike. If you are getting rid of the (what little) food you are taking in (regardless of which end its flting out of) I'd "starve" yourself for 24h (plenty of fluids obviously) and then build your food intake bck up over the next 48hrs, starting with basic solid food; with a view to getting back on the bike at the end of 72hrs.

If after the 48hrs and a bit of plain food you are still "rough", get over to the Dr.

Only you can tell what your body is feeling; it may be that you need to get to the Dr now if you have been poorly since the weekend.

Thanks for the advice. It's looking like two votes to one so its off the bike for a couple of days.

ASC1951

Guru
OK, I'll even it up for you, then.

Stay on the bike. It's not a muscular/skeletal injury, so you aren't going to make it worse. It's just a random infection and not a serious one at that otherwise you wouldn't be wanting to go to work. Just ride at a pace that feels comfortable.

And get some plain yoghurt and bland cereal down you, rather than sandwiches.

Crankarm

Guru
3 issues I can see.

1) You are not eating properly

2) Food poisoning - E.Coli most commonly.

3) Are you currently being treated for any other condition or symptoms?

Eat a small amount of food you know you won't throw up. Drink plenty of water. Don't cycle for a couple of days. As your condition constitution improves gradually eat more to build your strength again.

If your condition does NOT improve in this time or worsens go to your GP asap.

Survivng on a diet of sandwiches is not wise. Were these sandwiches home made or off the shelf fast food crap? Did they contain ham, eggs, chicken or any other ingredients that could give you food poisoning?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
3 issues I can see.

1) You are not eating properly

2) Food poisoning - E.Coli most commonly.

3) Are you currently being treated for any other condition or symptoms?

Eat a small amount of food you know you won't throw up. Drink plenty of water. Don't cycle for a couple of days. As your condition constitution improves gradually eat more to build your strength again.

If your condition does NOT improve in this time or worsens go to your GP asap.

Survivng on a diet of sandwiches is not wise. Were these sandwiches home made or off the shelf fast food crap? Did they contain ham, eggs, chicken or any other ingredients that could give you food poisoning?

I usually eat better food in the evenings I just haven't had an appetite this week. I would say my usual diet is quite good, I cut all the rubbish out of it a couple of months ago.
The sandwiches are home made. I have the same ones every day usually with fruit (again no appetite, no urge to go and buy fruit).

Sorry Chris, I did take your advice on board and decided to see how I felt this morning. Not too bad so commuted. So far lunch has stayed where it should. I may skip the Sunday ride this week though, 40+ miles is almost certainly a bad idea in one hit.

Thanks all for responding though.

Top Bottom