NW Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The weather forcast doesn't look very encouraging.
sad.gif

I'll keep a close eye on what Saturday is going to be like before I decide. I'm not sure I fancy cycling 75 miles in the snow
cold.gif

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
The weather forcast doesn't look very encouraging.
sad.gif

I'll keep a close eye on what Saturday is going to be like before I decide. I'm not sure I fancy cycling 75 miles in the snow
cold.gif

Too right - I just looked at the 'next 24 hours' detail and the forecast is heavy rain and sleet - and that's for Rochdale not the higher ground.

I think I'm getting very cold wet feet and that's before catching the train at 6am - plus, I still haven't put the proper mudguards on the good bike :wacko:

That's it - I've talked myself out of it - I can relax and the weather will improve for the rest of you :biggrin:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If I was fit and keen, I'd get up early enough in the morning to check the weather and make a decision then. As it is, I'm not, so I've made my decision now - I'm out too!

The forecast is for conditions to improve after lunch so, hopefully, I'll get a shorter ride in then.

Subject to better weather, we will be doing another forum ride out to Waddington and back next weekend. If nobody else has started the thread, I'll do it now.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
if there is lying snow in the morning them i'm out, no way am i riding on slicks in the snow, but then again i could change to my cx tyres, but 150 miles on them? hmmm, will have to see.

would they officially call it off, and re-schedule if it was deemed too dodgy? or are audaxers hard core and it will be done in any weather?

ColinJ

if there is lying snow in the morning them i'm out, no way am i riding on slicks in the snow, but then again i could change to my cx tyres, but 150 miles on them? hmmm, will have to see.

would they officially call it off, and re-schedule if it was deemed too dodgy? or are audaxers hard core and it will be done in any weather?
I think it should be sleety rather than deep snow.

It's an interesting question what they would do if the weather actually was appalling. There must be some conditions which would make it virtually impossible but tomorrow isn't supposed to be that bad!

I can't see how they would reschedule it because there is a full calendar of events and people plan their seasons out way in advance.

I'm sure it willl go ahead but with a (slightly?) reduced turn out because of the weather.

Conditions were so bad on Season of Mists last year that I abandoned at the end of the Long Causeway with Alun and battered. Despite that, I think 50-odd more hardcore riders such as Svendo and zacklaws managed to get round.

I feel more inclined to make a big effort when I'm fit. I don't want to be struggling with the weather on top of lack of fitness!

Don't forget, you could always start off on the full NWP but decide to cut across at Gisburn and do the mini-NWP route instead if you think the conditions are too bad. (I don't know if that would officially count as a completed audax ride though because you'd have set off an hour early.)

Have a good time. I'm treating myself to a lie-in but I might do a short ride later on.

*** By the way - I've just started a new thread about next weekend's Waddington ride so pop over to it and add your name to the list! ***

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I'm thinking that the worst of the weather should be through, so hopefully I'll be ok.

Seriously thinking about putting the 35mm Marathons back on though. I'll decide first thing in the morning.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
woke up at 5:30 this morning, it was snowing heavily and about 1/2 inch deep on the road. i had a brew and went back to bed.

it's gone now, so a bit fed up with myself, for chickening out.

oh well, at least i'll get my tonne in, next weekend.

ColinJ

Despite the forecast saying that the snow would be above 250 m, it was snowing in the town itself (100 m altitude) when I woke up. The snow was settling, but the sky is clearing now and the roads are turning slushy. I'm happy with my decision since there are a few fairly big hills to go over on the NWP/mNWP.

Here's me and some other CycleChatters shivering at the top of the A682 on the 2009 edition!

top_of_a682.jpg

(L-R colly, Calum, trio25, longers, ColinJ)

OP
OP
Fiona N

Fiona N

Veteran
Looks like a good decision to stay in bed. There's snow around Kendal down to about 100m too but not in the town (ca. 40m). It certainly looks fairly thick on the tops of the hills (>200m) but then there was already snow, from Thursday, I think.

longers

Legendary Member
No snow in Oldham and the drizzle stopped at elevenish. Looking at Saddleworth and Alphin specifically there was none up there. Bit different not too far up the road then eh?

I was looking forward to hearing about the pies.

edited for: spelling

Crimmey

I turned around at top of Deerplay before Burnley and came back via Bacup due to the severity of snow,cold and wet. I've never seen snow flakes sooo huge. Quite a few mad people out there!

ColinJ

I turned around at top of Deerplay before Burnley and came back via Bacup due to the severity of snow, cold and wet. I've never seen snow flakes sooo huge. Quite a few mad people out there!
Ah - I've just met bromptonfb to hand back a bit of his bike that fell off on the last forum ride (!) and we were wondering if anybody actually ventured out.

Ah - some people completed the full NWP and the pub HQ ran out of pies so there must have been quite a few of them!

Top Bottom