NW Passage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I turned around at top of Deerplay before Burnley and came back via Bacup due to the severity of snow, cold and wet. I've never seen snow flakes sooo huge. Quite a few mad people out there!
I've just met bromptonfb to hand back a bit of his bike that fell off on the last forum ride (!) and we were wondering if anybody actually ventured out.

Ah - some people completed the full NWP and the pub HQ ran out of pies so there must have been quite a few of them!

potsy

Rambler
I've just met bromptonfb to hand back a bit of his bike that fell off on the last forum ride (!) and we were wondering if anybody actually ventured out.

Ah - some people completed the full NWP and the pub HQ ran out of pies so there must have been quite a few of them!

I hope you met him halfway Colin
wink.gif
more miles in the bank?
Have you got my mobile number? Could I have yours?

ColinJ

I hope you met him halfway Colin
wink.gif
more miles in the bank?
Have you got my mobile number? Could I have yours?
No, he was driving. His wife was with him and they were going for a scenic drive which is a recce for a route that Shaun fancies tackling some time. It is actually very similar to the Spring Into The Dales route. I don't know if he made it up or found it somewhere - he called it Hebden-to-Hebden. One Hebden is a village very close to Grassington, the other being Hebden Bridge, of course. It is a nice route but a bit tough for our current fitness and weather. (I'm sure he could manage it ok though!)

I do have your mobile number so I'll text you now ... It's my ride phone. I don't normally carry it, so outside of ride days it is best to PM me on CycleChat. I check in here several times a day.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
No, he was driving. His wife was with him and they were going for a scenic drive which is a recce for a route that Shaun fancies tackling some time. It is actually very similar to the Spring Into The Dales route. I don't know if he made it up or found it somewhere - he called it Hebden-to-Hebden. One Hebden is a village very close to Grassington, the other being Hebden Bridge, of course. It is a nice route but a bit tough for our current fitness and weather. (I'm sure he could manage it ok though!)

I do have your mobile number so I'll text you now ... It's my ride phone. I don't normally carry it, so outside of ride days it is best to PM me on CycleChat. I check in here several times a day.

no no, i've cycled to grassington loads of times when i lived in nelson. i did a recce today and it needs tweaking, the current skipton bit is boring and dull.

ColinJ

no no, i've cycled to grassington loads of times when i lived in nelson. i did a recce today and it needs tweaking, the current skipton bit is boring and dull.
You definitely don't need to go to Skipton! I've been cycling up to Wharfedale for 20 years and know all the different variations and where the nice bits are.

As I said, the Spring Into The Dales route is a very good basis for such a ride. The only thing about SITD is that it comes back through Keighley which is a let down after the glories that come before. I worked out a nice diversion, but it does involve going up a tough climb fairly late in the ride which might have a few people off and walking.

I'll post a suggestion later...

Garz

Squat Member
Yes potsy, or he has got distracted like the course creators that home in on chevrons using his memory map software.
whistling.gif

Christopher

Über Member
I had planned to come along to the start of this and meet some of the forumites but didn't bother as it seems everyone pulled out. So i got the train to Penrith, biked to the parking area at the end of Ullswater, put the walking gear on, locked the bike, hefted the ice axe and set off. Plenty of wind and fresh snow up there, I did High Street via its east ridge (bit airy) then a short wander northwards in pretty bad conditions (southerly wind and hill fog) as far as Rest Dodd then back down. There were a few other idiots, er walkers, about. A really great day. Shame I left the camera at home as there were some lovely views of snowy mountains in the clouds as the fog would clear for a few seconds every so often. Then a bit of a rest at the car aprk & wandered back to Pebrith. Slept well last night!
NB can't make next w/e ride before you ask Colin!

ColinJ

*awaits 'suggestion' post*

It's obviously a long long route
biggrin.gif
( or Colin's found a 4 pack in the back of the fridge )
whistling.gif

Yes potsy, or he has got distracted like the course creators that home in on chevrons using his memory map software.
whistling.gif
I was just about to nuke (microwave) a frozen portion of the veggie curry that I made last week when a friend rang and asked if I fancied sharing a Chinese takeaway, which I did, so that took up an hour and then we ended up watching an old b/w Henry Fonda movie that I'd stored on my PVR.

Normal service will now be resumed!

I have my beer chilling in the fridge and my new regime starts tomorrow (8 500 mL cans a week limit, plus regular exercise).

As for the chevrons ... I'm working on them!

I think Shaun is right, that there is a good forum ride in the Hebden-to-Hebden idea but I think it should wait until the summer. We have SITD coming up in April and that always feels pretty tough so I don't want to do an even tougher ride out there before SITD, and I wouldn't want to do one immediately afterwards either. I'm booked up the last week in May and the first week in June so from my point of view, about the end of June would be great for me, don't know about the rest of you?

I'll stick a suggestion for a route on Bikely in a hour or so.

I had planned to come along to the start of this and meet some of the forumites but didn't bother as it seems everyone pulled out. So i got the train to Penrith, biked to the parking area at the end of Ullswater, put the walking gear on, locked the bike, hefted the ice axe and set off. Plenty of wind and fresh snow up there, I did High Street via its east ridge (bit airy) then a short wander northwards in pretty bad conditions (southerly wind and hill fog) as far as Rest Dodd then back down. There were a few other idiots, er walkers, about. A really great day. Shame I left the camera at home as there were some lovely views of snowy mountains in the clouds as the fog would clear for a few seconds every so often. Then a bit of a rest at the car aprk & wandered back to Pebrith. Slept well last night!
NB can't make next w/e ride before you ask Colin!
That sounds good, and yes, take the camera next time!

About 20 years ago, the company I worked for sent me on a 5-day training course held at the Haweswater Hotel. I'd never been to the Lake District before so I wondered what the fuss was about. I managed to blag a lift up there with a colleague. It was dark by the time we got up there so we couldn't see any of the scenery. We arrived at the hotel, were shown to our rooms where we unpacked out things and then we went downstairs for a buffet meal. We met the other people on the course and had a few drinks in the hotel bar which stayed open late each evening for us.

Anyway, I woke up the next morning feeling slightly hungover, opened the curtains and found myself staring straight out over Haweswater at High Street - fantastic!

gallery-item-11.jpg

The weather was great that week so it was a pity that we were cooped up indoors with all that wonderful scenery stretching out before us, but on the Wednesday afternoon we were given a team-building exercise which was to walk from the car park at the end of Haweswater, up over High Street and back round to the hotel.

The water level in the reservoir was really low and we could see the ruins of the drowned hamlet of Mardale Green.

It was a fine afternoon for a strenuous walk over the Fells, but two of our number were not looking at the footpath we were following, but instead were staring up at the big crags towering above us to our left. Checking on the map now, I'd say that was Harter Fell. Next thing, the two of them ran over to the rock face and started free-climbing the damn thing! I was impressed, but also terrified that they'd fall off and we'd have to call out mountain rescue to collect their corpses.

The rest of us continued up the footpath and stopped as instructed for a picnic lunch at Small Water. A couple of minutes later the two guys scrambled into view with big grins on their faces. Climbers - clearly a breed apart! :thumbsup:

Attachments

• whistling.gif
    whistling.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom