Nylon washer for 50mm pipe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
My washer has perished in my speed fit under the bath. The plastic pipe is 50mm. It’s one of those thin nylon brown rings.
I had spares but seem to have gone missing.
I’m just trying to make sure I don’t have a leak and not trolling.
Where can I order one from? This would make a good dull man club post.
IMG_3935.jpeg

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Screwfix? Toolstation? 🤔

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
When mine perished I couldn’t find one in any of the retail plumbing supply shops (B&Q etc) and found a trade supplier in a nearby industrial estate.

He sold them in packs of 20 and when I told him not to bother as I only needed one, he burst the pack and said I could take it - free!

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
largest i've got is 45mm diameter... from a bag of 50 random washers i got from a pound shop years ago, which had every size apart from the size i needed :sad:

I bet the internal is 45mm. Had spares I found a month ago but either threw them out or put them somewhere I can’t find.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
more than happy to post it to you if it's the washer you need. I'll post a picture on a ruler when i get chance.

You never know. Mines an elliptical shape now. If not I’ll find a spare somewhere, luckily got an en-suite.

newts

Veteran

CXRAndy

Guru
The nylon ring is usually a backer washer for the rubber washer in front.

50mm waste outlet from bath is slightly unusual. 40mm is the norm, but if you have a long pipe run to outside then regs require 50mm.

I don't like push fit under bathroom units or behind walls, it will always leak at some point. I solvent weld and fit strategic access for cleaning out welded pipes in the future. If do need to have a slip joint it's always a female socket in a vertical position, so reduce possibilities of leaks

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
The nylon ring is usually a backer washer for the rubber washer in front.

50mm waste outlet from bath is slightly unusual. 40mm is the norm, but if you have a long pipe run to outside then regs require 50mm.

I don't like push fit under bathroom units or behind walls, it will always leak at some point. I solvent weld and fit strategic access for cleaning out welded pipes in the future. If do need to have a slip joint it's always a female socket in a vertical position, so reduce possibilities of leaks

Don’t know why the old owner put a slip joint there behind tiles. Which way around does the black rubber cone seal go? With the narrow at the front and wider at the back?

Fastpedaller

Just as a 'little nugget' ..... It's always worth trying the fit or parts before leaving the shop (though of course not possible if half of it is attached to a pipe at home!). I bought a 40mm straight compression connector from a builder's merchant and it all looked fine until it was connected to a pipe, and the nut wouldn't fit over the rubber tapered washer. It transpired that all the rubber washers were too thick - the nut would only fit over the washer without the pipe in place. Not much use if you want to connect pipes together :laugh:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
I’ve just tried it without the Nylon but as said it keeps the black rubber cone one in the correct place. I tried with half a cup and it leaked. I just can’t believe there’s a slide on after a small trap. The black line is where the slip joint is.
IMG_3939.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom