Obscure and niche tourist attractions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
The National Cycling Museum, which for many years was at Camelford in Cornwall had an amazing collection, including the world oldest bike, (both penny farthing and diamond frame), unfortunately closed due to lack of visitors and they sold the entire collection to a private individual in Moldova !
So we have sold the family cycling silver overseas.

Apparently a new 'National' Cycling Museum has been started in Wales, I've not been there, but I heard that the current collection is tiny when compared to the original

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned the Welcome Collection near Euston Station.

I'm fitting it in with a pie munching session on Saturday. :hyper:

I was there on Sunday for Tracing the Edges of Conciousness but this was good too.

Not so obscure though, is there a pie museum somewhere?

I was there on Sunday for Tracing the Edges of Conciousness but this was good too.

Not so obscure though, is there a pie museum somewhere?
Oh dear, is that obscure? I went to the sexology exhibition last year.

Do the Paris Catacombs count as obscure? I don't know anyone else who's been there, and it wasn't that busy. It's in all the tourist books, and they are kind of famous - dark, underground tunnels where the realise that odd shaped rocks lining the walls are actually the ends of hundreds of human thigh bones stacked up to the ceiling, liberally littered with littles signs (in french) "remember man, thou art dust" etc etc

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Been to the Paris catacombs, thought it was excellent. Particularly on a hot day as they quite cool.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
There's a museum of bollocks? That's a load of old balls.

Oh, last time I was in Amsterdam, we went to the then-new Holocaust museum. It wasn't about death camps, just the slow drip drip of oppression, and tyranny. We stepped out, spirits dampened and the next thing we saw was the Bols Museum. It's a perfectly silly museum, where you can see they didn't really have enough for an exhibition, but it was filled with little pull outs with info about juniper berries, and bottles of different herbs to smell, and discussions of the history of Gin/Genever. There was a room you could practice your Tom Cruise bottle juggling with unbreakable skittles, and finally needlessly complicated chart that let you pick "your perfect cocktail" based on your taste, that they would make you and give you the recipe. Oh, and another one, if you wanted to pay for it.

It was perfect. So was the Indonesian dinner we had afterwards.

FRED A

The National Cycling Museum, which for many years was at Camelford in Cornwall had an amazing collection, including the world oldest bike, (both penny farthing and diamond frame), unfortunately closed due to lack of visitors and they sold the entire collection to a private individual in Moldova !
So we have sold the family cycling silver overseas.

Apparently a new 'National' Cycling Museum has been started in Wales, I've not been there, but I heard that the current collection is tiny when compared to the original

The National Cycle Museum , in Llandrindod Wells , Mid Wales , was set up in 1997 and did NOT absorb the cycle museum at Camelford . It did absorb the Cycle Museum at Lincoln when that closed in 1998 There are over 250 cycles of all ages on display at the charity based in the famous Automobile Palace

Top Bottom