Obscure and niche tourist attractions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Heilongjiang Oil Exploration museum in Daqing, PRC sticks in memory as a spectacularly dull thing

Got taken there by some clients and had to feign interest in murals of great Chinese oil explorers, miniature scale models of oilfields etc

Tamiya head office in Shizuoka, Japan

The absolute pinnacle for any modelling fan

Been twice and loved every second

@Bimble started a thread on museums etc. The world is full of those little unexpected gems that are not quite "National Treasures"

I'll start with this-

http://www.barometerworld.co.uk/
With the famously (& oddly named) 'Tempest Prognosticator'

There was a World of Sooty museum about a mile from my house, sadly now closed, I don't know why........
I never went, but passed it a few times, when out that way, be on bike, or in car

I was going to say Cars of the Stars, and The Bond Collection, both in Keswick.
A quick Google shows them both closed though.
Yes, the 'Cars Of The Stars' (PackHorse Yard??) was great
Some really excellent vehicles, eg......
The V8 Interceptor, from Mad Max (first film)
Munsters Koach
3 Batmobiles (West, Keaton, & Clooney)

A genuine (Warner Brothers studio) General Lee, &, it was a 'Magnum' too!!!! (440)….. and.. uncrashed!!

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
I posted on this thread about "Waltzing Waters" at Ryde on the IoW.

Sadly, despite it being "better than the Disney fireworks", it seems to have ceased operation, as the landlord put the cost of the lease up.

They hope to reopen at some point, probably on the mainland. Erm, can't wait.

Perhaps it can be the centerpiece of Treeza May's "Festival Of National Renewal".

stephec

Legendary Member
With the famously (& oddly named) 'Tempest Prognosticator'

I never went, but passed it a few times, when out that way, be on bike, or in car

Yes, the 'Cars Of The Stars' (PackHorse Yard??) was great
Some really excellent vehicles, eg......
The V8 Interceptor, from Mad Max (first film)
Munsters Koach
3 Batmobiles (West, Keaton, & Clooney)

A genuine (Warner Brothers studio) General Lee, &, it was a 'Magnum' too!!!! (440)….. and.. uncrashed!!
Did you ever take a look at the full inventory?

What was on show at any one time was only a small portion of what he actually owned.

Did you ever take a look at the full inventory?

What was on show at any one time was only a small portion of what he actually owned.
No, I didn't look
My wife, & her sister, were in the area earlier this year, & I joking suggested visiting the Museum, for the 'T P'
I don't think they did

1. Granted, it's a proper (well.... rehoused from its old premises) museum, but Wakefield Museum has a few, as they're named 'Non-Descripts'
Ie; they defy description
There's a couple of links here

2. There was a (semi) private Museum at Stanley Royd, until its full closure, & subsequent adaptation into flats/apartments, that dealt with mental health & the treatment
(the 'Royd was built as the 'West Riding Pauper Lunatic Asylum', in conjunction with High-Royds/Menston, to the north-west of Leeds)

Staff, of the Hospital, & approved guests(visitors from other Hospitals, Student Nurses & Doctors, etc...) could go in
It had the Victorian instruments for Trefining. old maps, record books of reasons for admission

And.... a padded cell (too delicate to enter now, as Horse-Hair was used for the padding)

Nowadays, it's up at Fieldhead, the local psychiatric hospital, that also has the Secure Units

I've been in a couple of times, by flashing the ID badge, since it moved there

https://www.southwestyorkshire.nhs....alth-museum-chosen-as-happy-museum-affiliate/

The Church depicted, with its unique glass (showing Medical staff) no longer exists
It caught fire, & was demolished a few years ago
"Some say", it was a 'mysterious' fire, as the owners (property developers) couldn't get permission to demolish/change into flats...………………
Oddly, it was ablaze not long after (all that Pigeon poo in there, & the Pews would help any conflagration)
https://www.whateversleft.co.uk/asylums/stanley-royd-museum-chapel

Seeming now open to the public, I did think it had closed, due to Mick (the volunteer Curator) retiring
https://www.southwestyorkshire.nhs.uk/mental-health-museum/home/

midlife

Guru
Do you think you're able to give us chapter and verse on it please?

Not sure there's a lot to say......

father_ted_ted.jpg

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Pretty sure that clerical collars would have been even less interesting than canine collars.

Less interesting, or more niche.

Top Bottom