Obscure and niche tourist attractions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
A woman of taste and discernment then....

...how on earth did she end up with you? ^_^

She suspended her disbelief....

Ah yes, an old favourite of mine, driven past it dozens of times. I remember the disturbing time I noticed the sign outside changed from "World's Only Worm Museum" to "World's First Worm Museum"

It was opened for very cynical reasons. 100km out of Melbourne there is Phillip Island, sand, sea, surf, seals and - most important - a large fairy penguin colony, and the famous "Penguin Parade". People of Gippsland watch wistfully as all the coaches go by, full of tourists not stopping and spending money. So - they built a worm museum.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
The bagpipe museum in Morpeth, Northumberland, is great, if you like bagpipes.
http://www.morpethbagpipemuseum.org.uk/

@vernon might enjoy it, I reckon.
You'll know the Grace Darling museum in Bamburgh. It looks like it's been rehoused from when I was a kid, but it was part of the standard day-out-along-the-coast when we had visitors.

There's no need for a multi day ticket, but it's an interesting story and she's a bit of a poster-lady for the North Northumberland coast. I love the fact she only got a silver medal from the RLNI. What the feck do you have to do to get a gold one!?

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
What the feck do you have to do to get a gold one!?

Drown.

You'll know the Grace Darling museum in Bamburgh. It looks like it's been rehoused from when I was a kid, but it was part of the standard day-out-along-the-coast when we had visitors.
I remember watching Brideshead Revisited many, many years ago, and one of the young men swoons at the sight of the rowing crew and says "all boatmen are Grace Darlings to me". As it was in the days before google (Larry and Sergey would have been about 10), I was lucky my erudite father was able to explain who she was.
There's no need for a multi day ticket, but it's an interesting story and she's a bit of a poster-lady for the North Northumberland coast. I love the fact she only got a silver medal from the RLNI. What the feck do you have to do to get a gold one!?

Apparently you have to be bringing in the cash. Anyone can save a life, but only a special few can fill empty one of those boat-shaped coin boxes. :smile: Edit. Read the link. She doesn't fill the coinboxes, she empties them.

Edit number 2: Oh, a gold award for gallantry/bravery? A quick google suggests you probably need a penis and testicles to win that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom