Obscure and niche tourist attractions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Is that the one near Cranwell, I thought it had closed?
I think it's the same one - used to be at Byard's Leap, as you say, near Cranwell.

There is a chair museum in Cornwall. I think you would consider it on the about the fifth rainy holiday day.

http://www.visitlaunceston.co.uk/discover-launceston/antique-chairs-and-museum-p1416493

Basingstoke is well known for its redevelopment of the town centre in the 60s where they knocked down most of the town and built a horrid concrete mess.
The council is always dreaming up half-baked ideas on how to spend our money and decided we needed a museum. Not much really happened of note in Basingstoke (Produced steam engines, Barbour jackets and Liz Hurley) but this did not stop them building a vast hanger of a building with not much in mind to put in it?

They had some old steam engines and lorries kicking around and so made an old street scene centre rather like the one they knocked down which is somewhere between an am-dram stage set and Trumpton.
15 miles up the road is Winchester - with real old street scenes.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Basingstoke is well known for its redevelopment of the town centre in the 60s where they knocked down most of the town and built a horrid concrete mess.
The council is always dreaming up half-baked ideas on how to spend our money and decided we needed a museum. Not much really happened of note in Basingstoke (Produced steam engines, Barbour jackets and Liz Hurley) but this did not stop them building a vast hanger of a building with not much in mind to put in it?

They had some old steam engines and lorries kicking around and so made an old street scene centre rather like the one they knocked down which is somewhere between an am-dram stage set and Trumpton.
15 miles up the road is Winchester - with real old street scenes.
Hey! Unlike, Unlike! Leave Milestones alone! :tongue:

I remember going past on the train while it was being built and wondering what the hell they were doing. I used to enjoy the odd visit when Bolletta was little; she used to laugh like a drain at the chap in the toilet. I've heard rumours that like many similar places it's in some financial trouble, despite trying to diversify by hosting events.

And don't worry, the good burghers of Winchester are doing all they can to feck up our partially lovely city centre.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Like @Drago , I've a bizarre fascination with North Korea and read a good deal about the place. According to a few authors, visitors to North Korea are expected to visit a standard set of museums, all to the greater glory of Kims 1, 2 and 3. Highlights are the International Friendship Exhibition (lots and lots of shoot gifted by fellow despots, allegedly including such stunners as a bear's head and a VHS copy of Space Jam) and the Sinchon Museum of American War Atrocities (definitely a first date venue).

The best and most accessible description of the DPNK (including the museums) I've read is probably Guy Delisle's Pyongyang. Don't dismiss it as a comic - it's very detailed and perceptive.

D

Deleted member 1258

The Coventry Music museum, small place but worth a visit, and they have a lovely little cafe out the front as well.

http://www.covmm.co.uk/

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
The Willenhall Lock Museum. http://www.historywebsite.co.uk/Museum/locks/History2.htm

Why would Willenhall have such a long history of making locks? Because it also has a long history of being too damn close to Wolverhampton... so locks have been a necessity!!! (just joshing ya yam-yams... I know ya cun tek it!)

willenhall_zps9exktoma.jpg

Hey! Unlike, Unlike! Leave Milestones alone! :tongue:

I remember going past on the train while it was being built and wondering what the hell they were doing. I used to enjoy the odd visit when Bolletta was little; she used to laugh like a drain at the chap in the toilet. I've heard rumours that like many similar places it's in some financial trouble, despite trying to diversify by hosting events.

And don't worry, the good burghers of Winchester are doing all they can to feck up our partially lovely city centre.

Don't worry - it is getting lots of funding from my council tax. I went in 1999 when it opened and really have not had the urge to go back.

Now if they had Liz Hurley on display...

Top Bottom