Obtaining a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I do understand HJs point, but my personal opinion is that if you are to fall, at least your head has some kind of protection against any sort of minor or even major damage that could occur through a blow to the head, afterall, it's only a small price to keep you protected. I managed to find myself in concussion a few months back due to some hoodrats, not going into detail nor is it cycling related, but for the weeks and weeks of headaches and bruises, i'd much rather of had some sort of protection on it than go through that again by having my head bashed about!

But yes, thank you very much Crankarm and MuddyFox.

It is a bit of a fallacy that the Dutch, Germans, Danish, Swedish, Germans do not wear helmets - my observation is that there is probably more helmet wearers than here - its just that there are so many more cyclists that the proportion is lower than here - also if you visit bike shops, supermarkets etc there is a huge range of helmets on sale - would not bother if there was no demand - practically all "fast" (ie the ones that are toddling about on bikes similar to what we ride in England rather than the shopper type that us English despise as being uncool) wear helmets

Crankarm said:
Here we go ...............;).

You obviously don't like helmets, so why not come straight out and say so. Each to their own. Mr Monster was looking for advice on variety not a dissertation on the relative risks comparing wearing one or not. Which is generally drawn from information compiled by dry farts who aren't serious cyclists who just want to justify their jobs.

Always amuses me ...

Pro-helmet studies are stunning works of genius, anything not pro helmet is worthless?

Strange that many events - sportives stipulate "No helmet, no ride".
So are ALL motor racing events

The first thing the emergency services will ask you if you have been knocked down and are lucky to be conscious to be asked is "Have you hit your head?" If you are not wearing a helmet then ...... well it doesn't bear thinking about.

.. and why not ask the same quetions of a car driver or pedestrian, or would a ahelmet not work in these cases?

A helmet might not save your life, but then again it might just, or protect you from suffering brain damage. You prepared to take the risk for £25 or tell a young lad of 17 years not to bother with a helmet?

Might just, or might just not........

What the young lad needs to know is that there are different standards to helmets, that they have limitations and that they are not the "magic bullet" claimed by all too many.

The post that there is no difference between expensive and cheap helmets, and that any helmet is fine was not good advice, and needed to be challenged.

He has chosen to wear one, he has asked for advice as to which ones, lets not turn this into a helmet debate, answer the question with advice that is sound, intelligent (apart from the buffs!) and worthwhile.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Crankarm said:
The first thing the emergency services will ask you if you have been knocked down and are lucky to be conscious to be asked is "Have you hit your head?"

That isn't a reason to wear one... they asked me if I was wearing one last year when I broke my arm. I was as it happens but after that question they didn't bother checking if I had hit my head or had any problems that might indicate a head injury. It just looked to be a pointless question they asked patients.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
psmiffy said:
...practically all "fast" (ie the ones that are toddling about on bikes similar to what we ride in England rather than the shopper type that us English despise as being uncool) wear helmets
It's important to understand where helmets are effective and where they are not.

They're mostly designed for low speed impacts where another vehicle is not involved. These are more likely (for adults at least) in situations like MTB riding, or road racing, because the particpant is pushing the envelope of their control of the bike. (There's an excellent article in one of the back issues of "Cycle" about helmet design).

The research is by no means unequivocal about their benefits, and looked at from a population point of view, we may be increasing our risk by wearing them (because drivers give us less room, manouever more dangerously around us &c).

Ultimately, look at the research and make your own choice. I do wear one, personally, a Specialized Chamonix that is Snell certified. It's a handy place to put lights in the winter (knog frogs, thanks for asking) - I've no expectation of it doing me any good in any crash involving a motor vehicle.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
summerdays said:
That isn't a reason to wear one... they asked me if I was wearing one last year when I broke my arm.
I've had that too - road rash & huge bruise all over my arm, and the nurse says "at least you were wearing a helmet" - err, yeah.

PpPete

Legendary Member
John the Monkey said:
It's important to understand where helmets are effective and where they are not.

They're mostly designed for low speed impacts where another vehicle is not involved. These are more likely (for adults at least) in situations like MTB riding, or road racing, because the particpant is pushing the envelope of their control of the bike. (There's an excellent article in one of the back issues of "Cycle" about helmet design).

The research is by no means unequivocal about their benefits, and looked at from a population point of view, we may be increasing our risk by wearing them (because drivers give us less room, manouever more dangerously around us &c).

Ultimately, look at the research and make your own choice. I do wear one, personally, a Specialized Chamonix that is Snell certified. It's a handy place to put lights in the winter (knog frogs, thanks for asking) - I've no expectation of it doing me any good in any crash involving a motor vehicle.

I'm with JTM on this one...look at the research and make your own choice. I do [usually] wear one, personally.... Although I'm not sure most motorists are observant enough to notice whether any particular cyclist is or is not wearing a helmet, let alone change their behaviour accordingly.

I think participating in helmet debates is far more likely to be dangerous to your health. Opinions seem to be so strongly held that raised blood pressure seems to be the norm. FFS what happened to "agree to differ" "live and let live"?

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I don't mean to be rude guys, but I wasn't intending on starting a helmet debate, each to their own if you want to wear a helmet. I'd personally wear one for that 'if' factor. Even if it protects me from obtaining a scratch, i'm happy.

I was just looking for recommendations on some helmets because I WANT to wear one.
But exactly as John and Pete said, do the research and make the decision yourself. I've made mine which is why I asked in this thread what would be best for me on my budget. Each to their own.

Thanks for all the advice and such everyone! I think i'll look at some of the Giro helmets, they seem to be worthwhile.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Crankarm said:
Here we go ...............:wacko:.

You obviously don't like helmets, so why not come straight out and say so. Each to their own. Mr Monster was looking for advice on variety not a dissertation on the relative risks comparing wearing one or not. Which is generally drawn from information compiled by dry farts who aren't serious cyclists who just want to justify their jobs.

Strange that many events - sportives stipulate "No helmet, no ride".

The first thing the emergency services will ask you if you have been knocked down and are lucky to be conscious to be asked is "Have you hit your head?" If you are not wearing a helmet then ...... well it doesn't bear thinking about. A helmet might not save your life, but then again it might just, or protect you from suffering brain damage. You prepared to take the risk for £25 or tell a young lad of 17 years not to bother with a helmet?

Shame you never stop to think about it Crankers, there is no creatable evidence that cycle helmets do protect against suffering brain damage. It is the elephant in the room, try using an evidence based approach rather than just blind faith... :becool:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
psmiffy said:
It is a bit of a fallacy that the Dutch, Germans, Danish, Swedish, Germans do not wear helmets - my observation is that there is probably more helmet wearers than here - its just that there are so many more cyclists that the proportion is lower than here - also if you visit bike shops, supermarkets etc there is a huge range of helmets on sale - would not bother if there was no demand - practically all "fast" (ie the ones that are toddling about on bikes similar to what we ride in England rather than the shopper type that us English despise as being uncool) wear helmets

Yep, it is fashion, they are sold to those who want to look like pro tour racers, Bell Sport is a multi million pound business, but it has nothing to do with safety...

Fiona N

Veteran
Crankarm said:
The first thing the emergency services will ask you if you have been knocked down and are lucky to be conscious to be asked is "Have you hit your head?" ...

I wish someone would compile the statistics for cyclists admitted to hospital/treated by emergency services for any injuries who were wearing / not wearing a helmet. It would be interesting to see whether there were more helmet wearers amongst them, as suggested by the theory of risk adaptation (i.e. helmet wearers think themselves safer and then take more risks to bring their behaviour up to their personal "risk limit"). I'm not being provocative here - I'm just a scientist being curious :wacko:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fiona N said:
I wish someone would compile the statistics for cyclists admitted to hospital/treated by emergency services for any injuries who were wearing / not wearing a helmet.

fiona, this would be nigh on impossible - too many variables. In fact the only way to carry out this sort of study would be for two participants to crash in EXACTLY the same way, one helmeted and one without. Factors like risk compensation (by driver, assuming another vehicle involved) and cyclist and the differing characteristics of the accidents (and those choosing to wear/not wear helmets would make a raw, statistical analysis extremely difficult (imo).

It would be interesting to see whether there were more helmet wearers amongst them, as suggested by the theory of risk adaptation (i.e. helmet wearers think themselves safer and then take more risks to bring their behaviour up to their personal "risk limit"). I'm not being provocative here - I'm just a scientist being curious :wacko:
you have to deal with risk compensation by others as well though. There is some research showing that drivers take more chances around helmeted cyclists (closer overtakes, for example) than unhelmeted ones.

Fiona N

Veteran
John the Monkey said:
fiona, this would be nigh on impossible - too many variables. In fact the only way to carry out this sort of study would be for two participants to crash in EXACTLY the same way, one helmeted and one without. Factors like risk compensation (by driver, assuming another vehicle involved) and cyclist and the differing characteristics of the accidents (and those choosing to wear/not wear helmets would make a raw, statistical analysis extremely difficult (imo).

I wasn't really thinking of anything so sophisticated (sorry if it seemed like I was suggesting comparison of actual injuries) - just numbers of injured cyclists with and without helmets for comparison to the overall proportion of cyclists who wear/don't wear helmets.
I realise even this is tricky as there are many cyclists like me who sometimes wear a helmet (mtb-ing, windy or icy conditions or a long ride where I may want to be seen as 'a cyclist' rather than just someone on a bike) but don't for trips into town and short journeys.

Top Bottom