Obtaining a helmet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

MrMonster

HJ, if I get hit by a car for example without a helmet and bash my head? It'll do alot more damage without a helmet, surely?

Cuno, so basically stick to a Specialized helmet?

Monster ... i've just bought a Giro Indicator and its a great helmet ... very comfy it has the one touch adjuster and it's on sale for £25.99 (click the link)

Simon

Noodley

MrMonster said:
HJ, if I get hit by a car for example without a helmet and bash my head? It'll do alot more damage without a helmet, surely?

Get thee over to Room 101 and read the 'Helmet Saved My Life Thread...' :thumbsup::biggrin:

chap

Veteran
HJ said:
How?? If you are on restricted budget way waste money on a hat polystyrene? :biggrin:

Now now HJ, I was looking out for you, live and let live :sad: Not everyone wants to cycle without some shock absorption around the head. I for one wear a helmet, yet in certain parts I can quite happily forgo one, such as glorious Edinburgh (Ok well not so much the 'coastal' parts, nor those near to large supermarkets :thumbsup:).

If you head down here, you will also see a fair few Kensington lasses going about their way with and without helmets. Venture into moton land (the Home Countries and further afield), and one would feel underdressed in full American football regalia!

At the moment, we are still allowed to decide whether we wish to wear a helmet or not, so in the spirit of that debonair Edinburgh manner (it's the home of the Festival for goodness sake) allow each to their own :thumbsup:

MrMonster said:

The main point is that it fits and is comfortable. Research (mainly in the US) shows that poorly fitting helmets are likely to move on the head or come of, which can cause further injury including "rotational injuries" and others.

That is why I said that "if it fits" you should look at Snell certificated helmets.

You need to get into a local bike shop and see how you feel.

MET helmets for instance favour "long, narrow heads" and may feel tight at the sides, equally Giro tend to be less oval and may feel tight at the front.

You need to get them on your head and see what fits and is comfortable, there is absolutely no replacement for this.

Additionally a good bike shop will also be able to adjust and fit it properly. It may cost an extra couple of quid - but if you have decided you need protection then why compromise it for the sake of a fiver?

jay clock

Massive member
Fit is the most important thing. It should be tipped forward on your head so the brim is quite low on the forehead. If it tips back it will rip backwards in crash and cuase all sorts of hassle. Spend time adjsting the straps so they are not loose or slack.

Good ventilation also matters

To summarise - you need it to fit well.

Mine is a Specialized and the adjustable fit is good (but in addition they come in sizes, you might want to make sure you play with those as well as just adjusting the first one off the shelf).
Also bear in mind that in winter if you shove a beanie or buff underneath the size will need to be bigger, so allow for some slack; but in summer you'll need to have it tight against your head.
Play properly with the straps in the shop, to adjust the chinstrap you might find the adjuster thingies annoy your ears.

Last point - IIRC the reason some helmets are more expensive is that they are lighter with more holes (for ventilation) but 'the same crash protection'. So a cheaper one might offer the same, or better, protection, but will be slightly heavier or hotter in summer.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
MrMonster said:

Wear a helmet if you want to, but don't expect it to save you life. Cycle helmets are only designed to protect against minor injury, in the event of car crash they offer no real advantage. You are better off learning to ride safely.

It is your money, if you want to waste it then Cunobelin give good advice, also remember to wear it when you are walking as well, you are at greater risk as a pedestrian than you are as a cyclist. :smile:

OP
OP
M

MrMonster

I'll pop down to Halfords tomorrow, have a little look at some of the helmets and get a size and feel for them, then order one online from EvansCycles or something. Not really sure what i'm looking for other than Specialized, with plenty of ventilation holes, so fiddling around with a few might be just what I need.

HJ, I do agree with what you're saying, but i'd rather spend £20 and protect myself from minor injuries than not to wear one at all. I do understand what you say though, each to their own!

Savage, not often I wear a beanie, but I haven't rode any distances in winter so i'll have to wait til next year to see. Size wise, will it matter if I buy say the largest size and strap it it's tightest, or buy the smallest and have it it's loosest? Surely it's the same?

Ty all.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
MrMonster said:
Savage, not often I wear a beanie, but I haven't rode any distances in winter so i'll have to wait til next year to see. Size wise, will it matter if I buy say the largest size and strap it it's tightest, or buy the smallest and have it it's loosest? Surely it's the same?

Ty all.

When I bought my last one (Specialized one as it happens Instinct or Tactic can't remember which), the helpful lady in the store on Park Street pointed out that although I could fit the smallest one on my head - there wasn't enough room for anything else... so I ended up with a Medium. If you intend to cycle through the winter I would allow for a buff underneath - it can get very cold. My other half uses one in summer too. So in which case the smallest on the loosest strap size isn't the same as the the other option.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I bought a Lidl helmet as a stop gap (a cheap but well fitting helmet is better than no helmet to me). Fits really nice, adjustable so can compensate for wearing a woolly hat as well when its cold. The ventilation is good. It cost something like £7.99.

Top Bottom