Occasional ice - winter tyre compound or studded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They will do. You can ride in snow with normal tyres, but once it starts to freeze and you also get ice patches you need studs. Most winters you'll only encounter ice in patches, and most city commuters can get away with it. It's usually minor roads that are dangerous, especially if it's been wet and frozen over night - which is more typical of a British Winter. Any studded tyre will do

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I find cycling in snow a piece of cake (just slow down), its either ice or tarmac for my commute. So are we agreed that the Schwalbe winters will be ok? They are quite reasonably priced at 20- quid each too.
If http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-winter-kevlar-guard-rigid-spiked-road-tyre/ then I would expect it to be OK, based on my experience of http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-snow-stud-mtb-tyre/rp-prod24564

winjim

Smash the cistern
I find cycling in snow a piece of cake (just slow down), its either ice or tarmac for my commute. So are we agreed that the Schwalbe winters will be ok? They are quite reasonably priced at 20- quid each too.

Cheers
That's what I have. Good on ice but not great at clearing deep snow. Available in 30mm width so fit on my CdF with guards. Bargain at £20.

5 miles in studded tyres is OK. Get a spare set of wheels, with a cassette that works with your chain, and fit studs. Switch as needed.
Does ice appear in particular locations with cold microclimates, eg, dips, tree shade etc.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
What bike are you putting them on?
I assume you have the clearance for this width of tyre?

Yes, easy 50 mm clearance on old Revolution Streetfinder.
I might stop being tight and buy some spare wheels with the spikes
Now my only concern is that other cyclists may try and follow me at speed across a particularly slipery exposed bridge full of black ice, not knowing I have spikes (I am a serial worrier :smile:)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi OP!
Another "tractor" owner here, indeed I shall use it for commuting to my work later on.
Don't worry about having the studs when there's no ice, often when I set out there's none, but there may well be lots by the time I finish work. My ice spikers are in their 5th winter now, still going strong.
Here is my review for your perusal. It's an old one, so the links may be out of date.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
5 miles in studded tyres is OK. Get a spare set of wheels, with a cassette that works with your chain, and fit studs. Switch as needed.
Does ice appear in particular locations with cold microclimates, eg, dips, tree shade etc.

Good idea. Yes, as above there is a 100 foot bridge which is very bad, but then there are lots of places under trees etc that vary and are not easily predictable. I was planning of upgrading to a cassette system so this is a good reason to do it. Thanks.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
One of the many things I didn't grasp about ice tyres is they are fine for use when there's no ice.

Most of the commuters on here put them on at the first sign of freezing weather, and leave them on until spring.

Good idea. Yes, as above there is a 100 foot bridge which is very bad, but then there are lots of places under trees etc that vary and are not easily predictable. I was planning of upgrading to a cassette system so this is a good reason to do it. Thanks.
If you monitor the coldspots over time, you can gauge ice formation related to your forecast temp, or one you measure at home.

I made some DIY studded tyres from cheap MTB tyres and 3/8 self-tapping screws. Takes a couple of hrs and a dremel.
With my Alfine hub gears and dynohub front, I can't use a replacement wheels. If I replace tyres, they stay on for a while.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

Second bike is even better. I get up in the morning, if I see ice on the flat roof or the car, then I come out on the ice bike otherwise I will use my normal commuter.

DrLex

merely the moocher
One of the many things I didn't grasp about ice tyres is they are fine for use when there's no ice.

Most of the commuters on here put them on at the first sign of freezing weather, and leave them on until spring.
Only downside is the crackling noise of studs on Tarmac is reminiscent of frying bacon (or to some, a popular rice-based cereal), so I always arrive at my destination distinctly peckish.

Here's another recent flipped car on a notorious spot for black ice on my route.

Top Bottom