Occasional ice - winter tyre compound or studded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philepo

Veteran
Hi all,

I have a 5 mile commute and no option other than to walk (which I will not do, I have evolved to be on wheels of one sort or another :smile:).

I had a few scary moments this morning from sudden patches of ice (North East UK weather). I was wondering whether to invest in Continental Top Contact (i.e. a winter compound tyre) or Schwalbe Winter Spikes (i.e. specifically a tyre for icey conditions - though they do say you can pump it up to ride when the ice has gone.

The thing is I know my commute is not 100% ice, it is, say, 0.01% (!) but those bits are very dangerous and largely unpredictable. Does anyone have any experience of Continental Top Contacts? Because if they are a bit better that my standard tyres (Continental Contact II) then perhaps they are a good all-year alternative and can be left on??
So: Top Contact vs Winter Spike....pros/cons?

Cheers
P

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Nothing, other than a spiked tyre will grip on Ice. So, you have the choice of alternative transport, or ice tyres.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nothing, other than a spiked tyre will grip on Ice. So, you have the choice of alternative transport, or ice tyres.
Interestingly, I watched a few cyclists riding in Iceland last week, on glassy ice, with what looked like normal tyres...i couldn't believe it...no spikes at all.

Driving my car was fine (with spiked tyres) but as soon as I stepped out the car door I was slipping about, I don't know how the cyclists managed it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Interestingly, I watched a few cyclists riding in Iceland last week, on glassy ice, with what looked like normal tyres...i couldn't believe it...no spikes at all.

Driving my car was fine (with spiked tyres) but as soon as I stepped out the car door I was slipping about, I don't know how the cyclists managed it.

Ninjas !!!

winjim

Smash the cistern
What fossy said. Spikes are the only thing that will grip ice. Mine go on at the first hint of ice and will come off about Easter I expect. I haven't needed them yet this year but it's reassuring to know they're there. They ride ok in a straight line although going around corners is like steering a piece of farm machinery.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
We've Snow Studs on an old MTB here. They're slow and noisy but as @fossyant says, nothing else grips on ice, although these certainly do.

You can indeed pump them up a bit to reduce stud contact but they're still basically slow grippy nobblies best kept for when there could be ice.

The other tactic (used when ice surprises me while out, which is very rare now) is to lower your saddle a bit, but make sure you know where it was so you can put it back. You won't be able to pedal full power (possibly even strain something if you try) and you have to use low gear and it'll spin and slide around sometimes, so it'll be slow and annoying, but you should be able to get feet down like a Dane if you must (and possibly fall like if you were walking, but at least it's not shoulder-first).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mXOqv38euQ

http://www.copenhagenize.com/2012/01/overcomplicating-winter-cycling-why-its.html

mjr

If the ice is that rare, id be inclined to walk it for those small sections, 0.01% seems like a few feet to me.

Just a thought...also the ice is on its way soon.
How the heck do you walk on ice? Do you have yaktrax or similar?

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
If the ice is that rare, id be inclined to walk it for those small sections, 0.01% seems like a few feet to me.

Just a thought...also the ice is on its way soon.

Call it 50 feet. But that's enough.
I asked the Wiggle 'live chat man' and he said they aren't suitable unless on snow...
So I assume the Top Contact Winter does do something... snow/grease tyre??????
If they can be ridden bolt upright without knackering the studs then they seem like a reasonable idea to me as I can manage that. (Obviously once I buy they Spring will immediately start!)

mjr

I asked the Wiggle 'live chat man' and he said they aren't suitable unless on snow...
Did you ask if he cycled on snow and ice much? I'm even more sceptical of "live chat man" than I am of big chain in-store assistants - I'm sure some know a lot about some types of cycling, but I expect they know less than knowledgeable veteran local bike shop staff and I've occasionally flummoxed my local ones of those ;) ("Well, let's order one in and try it - I'm sure we'll sell it eventually if not" :laugh: )

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
All spiked tyres are very suitable for ice, some are fine in snow and indeed mud, others not so.

I find cycling in snow a piece of cake (just slow down), its either ice or tarmac for my commute. So are we agreed that the Schwalbe winters will be ok? They are quite reasonably priced at 20- quid each too.

Cheers

Top Bottom