Occasional ice - winter tyre compound or studded?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Only downside is the crackling noise of studs on Tarmac is reminiscent of frying bacon (or to some, a popular rice-based cereal), so I always arrive at my destination distinctly peckish.

Here's another recent flipped car on a notorious spot for black ice on my route.

The crackle noise from my ice tyres varies with the road surface.

I've been on some stretches where they are close to silent, on other surfaces they are quite noisy.

Noise, it's transmission and perception is a strange thing.

ChrisEyles

Guru
+1 on spikes, even if it's only 0.01% of your commute (unless you know *exactly* where it's going to be and can get off and walk.... but it doesn't usually work like that).

I need to get some for my bike if I'm going to carry on commuting, just came off again today rather badly. In the past I've had no trouble cycling through winter ice/snow (even when I lived in Berlin for a few years and it was -20C out!), but for some reason the icy lanes around our new place in Devon are really kicking my ass :sad:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Second bike is even better. I get up in the morning, if I see ice on the flat roof or the car, then I come out on the ice bike otherwise I will use my normal commuter.
I go by the bird bath: if it's solid, it's ice bike time!
I've been on some stretches where they are close to silent, on other surfaces they are quite noisy.
You know that when they are silent you are riding on ice, yes? ^_^

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Does anyone have any experience of Continental Top Contacts? Because if they are a bit better that my standard tyres (Continental Contact II) then perhaps they are a good all-year alternative and can be left on

I use Conti Top Contact Winter now (700x35), having retired the Marathon Winter as being too slow.
They are fine. I've ridden straight up ~8% ice on them, and with no nasty moments since I've been using them (unlike the Marathon Winters, where I did fall off a couple of times riding in a straight line on level ground, having failed to reduce the tyre pressure enough). You probably have to pay a bit more attention than with the spikes, but even with spikes you aren't safe riding as though it's dry.

They aren't very much slower than the Marathon Racer I was using in the summer, and the only real restriction on using them all year is the cost.

Last edited:
OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
I use Conti Top Contact Winter now (700x35), having retired the Marathon Winter as being too slow.
They are fine. I've ridden straight up ~8% ice on them, and with no nasty moments since I've been using them (unlike the Marathon Winters, where I did fall off a couple of times riding in a straight line on level ground, having failed to reduce the tyre pressure enough). You probably have to pay a bit more attention than with the spikes, but even with spikes you aren't safe riding as though it's dry.

They aren't very much slower than the Marathon Racer I was using in the summer, and the only real restriction on using them all year is the cost.

That's interesting. These seemed to be a good compromise (for the days when it isn't remotely icy), but I was beginning to think they had no effect on ice and were more a 'soft compound' type thing.
A reviewer here seems to think they are ok on ice:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...continental-topcontact-winter-ii-tires_197231

BTW, when I said I have to ride over ice, I do mean 'icy', black ice, slippery frost etc, not literally a sheet of frozen Scandinavian bob sled track....
Dunno now, I may look for a spare 'ice bike', will see whats about of ebay (queue another 5 hours of mindless distraction)

Last edited:

potsy

Rambler
I can't see how anything other than studs will 'grip' on ice, soft compound or not.

Glad I had mine on today, were definite patches of it on my off road route.

OP
OP
philepo

philepo

Veteran
I'm not sure the idea is to grip 100%, rather just to not be as ungrippy as a summer compound, non-siped tyre.

Last edited:

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I commuted on the same set of Nokian Hekapalita 106 for about 10 winters. When I had 1 bike, I got a 2nd set of wheels (with cassette) that I could swap in a couple minutes. Then, when I got a new bike, the old bike became the "foul weather bike" and the studded tyres stayed on all winter. This year, I've found the best method, yet....I'M RETIRED!" ;-)

Schneil

Veteran
That's interesting. These seemed to be a good compromise (for the days when it isn't remotely icy), but I was beginning to think they had no effect on ice and were more a 'soft compound' type thing.
A reviewer here seems to think they are ok on ice:
http://velonews.competitor.com/2011...continental-topcontact-winter-ii-tires_197231

BTW, when I said I have to ride over ice, I do mean 'icy', black ice, slippery frost etc, not literally a sheet of frozen Scandinavian bob sled track....
Dunno now, I may look for a spare 'ice bike', will see whats about of ebay (queue another 5 hours of mindless distraction)

+1 on the Continental Topcontact Winter II. I used them this morning and they coped well with the light ice that was around this morning.
I can't see how anything other than studs will 'grip' on ice, soft compound or not.

Glad I had mine on today, were definite patches of it on my off road route.

I'm not sure how they work. I think the fine grooves and soft rubber increase the tyres surface area? Whatever it is, they sure are grippy!! I've ridden on them the last 2 Winters. They cope with most winter roads, but if there was thick sheet ice forecast I'd switch to the Marathon Winter. However there's only been one day like that so far this year, so the Marathons have been stuck in the loft.

Potsy - you're more than welcome to take them for a spin if you're passing?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
+1 on the Continental Topcontact Winter II. I used them this morning and they coped well with the light ice that was around this morning.

I'm not sure how they work. I think the fine grooves and soft rubber increase the tyres surface area? Whatever it is, they sure are grippy!! I've ridden on them the last 2 Winters. They cope with most winter roads, but if there was thick sheet ice forecast I'd switch to the Marathon Winter. However there's only been one day like that so far this year, so the Marathons have been stuck in the loft.

Potsy - you're more than welcome to take them for a spin if you're passing?

How are you doing.... I didn't ride ice without studs - just not worth the risk for me as I have crashed out badly... But as you know I won't catch you on the commute any time soon. I might see you at an UMBUG event later in the year, but I'll be the pedestrian... (cue the comments about not knowing you without your clothes on).

Schneil

Veteran
I was on the Topcontact Winter IIs this morning and they were good in the fresh snow. But I found crossing vehicle tracks difficult as it was quite slushy. Would the Marathon Winters have coped better?

potsy

Rambler
I was on the Topcontact Winter IIs this morning and they were good in the fresh snow. But I found crossing vehicle tracks difficult as it was quite slushy. Would the Marathon Winters have coped better?
I've found the winter's quite poor in slushy stuff, much better on smooth icy patches.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
The Ice Spikers (like the winters, but with Mbike knobs) are great in snow and slush, and ice of course.
Pricey, and like riding a tractor, but very effective.
Mine are in their 4th winter, on a 5 speed bike: I think next year I will move them to a 21 speed bike, I'm not as young as I used to be :sweat: ^_^

winjim

Smash the cistern
Schwalbe Winters don't have sufficiently deep tread to clear the loose slushy stuff straight away, but if you're prepared to spin the rear and slide the front to get the slush out of the way, they will eventually find something to grip, be it rubber on the road or spikes on any underlying ice. Takes a bit of courage though. Slidy funtimes. ^_^

Marathon Winters I think have similar tread depth but more spikes.

Top Bottom