OE Tyres - Are they the same?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
So what's the deal with OE tyres? I understand they are Original Equipment supplied by manufacturers and fitted as standard on some new bikes. But are they the same quality? They're cheaper to buy which is obviously appealing, but are they made to a budget and therefore, not as good, or are they old stock and age hardened from sitting in some warehouse for 5 years?
Can anyone out there speak from experience please? Got my eye on some Conti GP4000s II at a good price but I'm a bit unsure about them. Cheers...

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
The two bikes I have bought came with branded tyres....albeit cheap conti's and Maxxis Detonators. When you say OE do you mean completely unbranded?

Citius

OE usually just means the items are unboxed, with no labels or packaging. Retail stuff gets sold in nice fancy boxes with pretty colours - OE kit is usually just supplied to the bike factories loose in big boxes, so they don't need to unpack each individual tyre before assembly.

Same deal with OE chains, tubes, grousets, bar tape, etc.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
In my opinion, tyres a common area for bike manufacturers to save money on. First thing I did with my new commuter was take the tyres off and fit something that wouldn't puncture to easily.

Citius

In my opinion, tyres a common area for bike manufacturers to save money on. First thing I did with my new commuter was take the tyres off and fit something that wouldn't puncture to easily.

Yes, but if the question is "is an OE GP4Ks the same as a retail version?', then the answer is yes.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Yes, but if the question is "is an OE GP4Ks the same as a retail version?', then the answer is yes.
I agree, they ought to be. However, I wouldn't go for Contis again after my experience with Ultra Sports. Wear very quickly, and about the same puncture resistance as a slice of processed cheese!

midlife

Guru
@JoeyB just curious, my Basso came with Maxxis Detonators and can't make up my mind about them. What did you think of yours?

Shaun

Citius

I agree, they ought to be. However, I wouldn't go for Contis again after my experience with Ultra Sports. Wear very quickly, and about the same puncture resistance as a slice of processed cheese!

Don't judge an entire product range from using one (low end) tyre.

Citius

@JoeyB just curious, my Basso came with Maxxis Detonators and can't make up my mind about them. What did you think of yours?

Shaun

They're called 'Detonators' for a reason.

OP
OP
mrbikerboy73

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
The two bikes I have bought came with branded tyres....albeit cheap conti's and Maxxis Detonators. When you say OE do you mean completely unbranded?
Oh they are genuine Conti's, Evans have them but are listed as OE. I know they won't come with fancy packaging but just wondered if the quality was the same.

U

User6179

Oh they are genuine Conti's, Evans have them but are listed as OE. I know they won't come with fancy packaging but just wondered if the quality was the same.

If its the ones that are £32 at evans , you can get them cheaper than that, most I have ever paid is £26 for a gp4000s or the gp4000s ii

Top Bottom