Off-road touring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

I've just back from my first solo camping tour!

Bit scary waking up in the woods to find two foxes stood looking back at through the door of your tent. I switched on the light and that made things much worse. All I could see were all these eyes looking glowing in the dark. Didn't sleep much after that!

Anyway, despite scaring myself to death I'm hooked.

Are there any 'touring' bikes that are capable off-roaders?
I'm thinking 29ner wheels. A MTB but with panniers?

NickC

You worry too much. There aren't, I think, too many man-eating foxes about these days.

As for off-road-capable touring bikes, there are dozens - for instance Surly, Thorn, Roberts, Koga, Santos - some of them even available in 700c versions.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

As for off-road-capable touring bikes, there are dozens - for instance Surly, Thorn, Roberts, Koga, Santos - some of them even available in 700c versions.

I think we're talking about different sorts of bike here. I think I basically want a 29ner MTB (with gears) capable of having panniers fitted to it. Something that is highly compitent off-road.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Sounds like you had a great ride...

Let me know please if you find a good solution to the broken tent pole. I've yet to find a replacement for Gelert Solo pole - one that doesn't cost more than the tent!

NickC

I think we're talking about different sorts of bike here. I think I basically want a 29ner MTB (with gears) capable of having panniers fitted to it. Something that is highly compitent off-road.

OK, how about what I've got - a Gazelle XR.2 Hybrid - 63mm movement front suspension fork, LX 27-speed derailleur, 700c wheels, mounting point for pannier rack. It's tough, basically built for off-road use as well as on-road. I've changed some of the components to suit my own taste, but even as standard it's fine for on-road and off-road touring use (so far anyway). And I expect you can get it in the UK if you hunt around a bit.

Bodhbh

Guru
Not exactly an expert, but since started touring (on a aluminium Rockhopper) and loving to wander off-road have been looking out on what's available if I get aroudn to upgrading. This the sort of thing you mean?:

http://www.surlybikes.com/karatemonkey.html

People generally either seem to build up or convert MTBs with racks that can take a battering like Tubus or Old Man Mountain, or then there's the high-end expedition bikes which come with w/without front suspension, think Thorn do one as well as Tout Terrain ($!$!$!). These seem mostly 26" tho.

Really, there's not much between 26" and 700c wheels. Either can be made into something suitable or not, better to see how the bike feels.
FWIW I think the best do-everything tourers are pre-1990 lightweight mountain bikes. And they're cheap!

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

NickC said:

OK, how about what I've got - a Gazelle XR.2 Hybrid - 63mm movement front suspension fork, LX 27-speed derailleur, 700c wheels, mounting point for pannier rack. It's tough, basically built for off-road use as well as on-road. I've changed some of the components to suit my own taste, but even as standard it's fine for on-road and off-road touring use (so far anyway). And I expect you can get it in the UK if you hunt around a bit.

Sadly I don't think my body would be capable of surviving a weeks off-roading on the Gazelle. I want to take this bike on some of the classic MTB trails. So we're taking serious off-road tracks. Rocks, small drops and mud galore.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

Bodhbh said:
Not exactly an expert, but since started touring (on a aluminium Rockhopper) and loving to wander off-road have been looking out on what's available if I get aroudn to upgrading. This the sort of thing you mean?:

http://www.surlybikes.com/karatemonkey.html

People generally either seem to build up or convert MTBs with racks that can take a battering like Tubus or Old Man Mountain, or then there's the high-end expedition bikes which come with w/without front suspension, think Thorn do one as well as Tout Terrain ($!$!$!). These seem mostly 26" tho.

Yes, the Karate Money is almost exactly what i'm after. Only it doesn't come with pannier mounts.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

chris667 said:
Really, there's not much between 26" and 700c wheels. Either can be made into something suitable or not, better to see how the bike feels.
FWIW I think the best do-everything tourers are pre-1990 lightweight mountain bikes. And they're cheap!

Ideally I do want 700c wheels (or 29er wheels as they're known). But 26" wheels will do at the right price.

I don't want a long travel fork on the bike because i've found suspension forks are somewhat 'intresting' when the front of the bike is laiden. The 29ner wheels are to compensate for the lack of suspension.

This is the sort of thing i'm after (took some finding).
Although, I would prefer flat bars and something about half the price!
09salsa-fargo-sm.jpg

andym

Über Member
RedBike said:
Are there any 'touring' bikes that are capable off-roaders?
I'm thinking 29ner wheels. A MTB but with panniers?

If you want 29er wheels look at On-One. Not sure why youre set on a 29er (are you particularly tall?). Most 'expedition' bikes are built with 26-inch wheels - partly because they are stronger than equivalent 29/700 wheels, and partly because 26-inch wheels are easier to find ouside of North America and Europe.

EDIT: just seen StirlingCrispin's post - teach me not to read all the posts before posting myself.

OP
OP
RedBike

RedBike

andym said:
If you want 29er wheels look at On-One. Not sure why youre set on a 29er (are you particularly tall?). Most 'expedition' bikes are built with 26-inch wheels - partly because they are stronger than equivalent 29/700 wheels, and partly because 26-inch wheels are easier to find ouside of North America and Europe.

EDIT: just seen StirlingCrispin's post - teach me not to read all the posts before posting myself.

I've tried loading my MTB up and touring a bit on that. The trouble was the handling of the bike was all over the place when loaded
http://redbikes.blogspot.com/2009/05/wet-bivvy.html

I just felt a completely rigid bike loaded equally front and rear would cope a lot better. The 29ner wheels were purely to compensate for the lack of suspension / to help out getting a heavy bike over rough terrain.

The point is I don't know what sort of bike works. Which is why i'm asking here. But I do know my present setup doesn't work.

The more I think about it the more I think the answer is probably to pack super light (Just a credit card and a spare shirt) and use a standard 26" wheeled MTB and a rucksack.

Top Bottom