Oh dear - Electricity bill increase likely - Son's Gaming PC !!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lad has been saving up like crazy/stashing birthday cash for the last 6 months. I'd bought him a gaming laptop when he was diagnosed with T1 Diabetes back in March last year (how time flies). Anyway he got the bug. He does lots of video's and stuff, drives us mental with it actually.

Anyway, Grandad left him £500 in his Will, and as Grandad was a very 'techy' person we are letting him put it towards a gaming PC.

We've already bought the case and a BIG power supply (750w), gaming mouse, gaming keyboard etc. etc. for his Birthday/Christmas. I told him to hang off for components until the time he needed them. He's got himself a 27" monitor (WTF) :ohmy: and is using that with the laptop. I can't even look at it - way too big for my eyes.

Well his money is now there and the order for bits will be placed tomorrow - another £1k.:ohmy: Fortunately he has all bar £100 so I'll sub him.

I hope this thing can brew up ^_^.

I suppose I can turn the heating off in his room !!

Have things moved on since Sonic the Hedgehog?

I liked Sonic the Hedgehog.

Yeh you need a mega PC to 'emulate' the Mega Drive Sonic game on a PC ! :laugh:

I love Space Invaders !!! Got the emulator on our old family PC "Der dum, der dum, der dum".

Sorry for taking the thread off topic. But now that you mention Space Invaders I used to love that - bunked off school many a time to spend all afternoon playing Space Invaders in local leisure centre; and then at the weekend the local arcade which my parents told me was "too rough" for me. I also loved a game which I can't remember the name of - it was maybe called Asteroids as the point of the game was to shoot asteroids and each new level had a different spacecraft. I'll best go and search the interweb...

...it was maybe called Asteroids as the point of the game was to shoot asteroids and each new level had a different spacecraft. I'll best go and search the interweb...

It wasn't called Asteroids although Asteroids was a game I played and enjoyed as well - this one was a step up in terms of graphics and was full colour blast fest!

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

We started off with a chill blast and the last rig the boy had dimmed the lights in the village any had more fans than the defunct cross channel hovercraft :smile:

Shaun

Yeh this sounds like the same.

He won't need lights in the room as this thing has lit up fans. I think he will need to anchor himself to the chair with the air blast. He has done his reasearch though, I will give him that. :thumbsup:

He's going for an I7 4790K 4.0 GHZ (unlocked) and a MSI gaming mother board and a MSI GeForce 970 Twin Frozr, 16 GB of Ballistix Ram.. yadda yadda. SSD main drive and an 'initial' 2TB hard drive - more drives to follow ! The graphics card and CPU are near £600 ! :ohmy: His money.

PS I can't say anything as I built up a decent rig 10 years ago, and it's now the family computer and running Win 7 very nicely. Can't play the latest games at all, not even Minecraft - which is a bonus as it's the 'work' machine now !

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Sorry for taking the thread off topic. But now that you mention Space Invaders I used to love that - bunked off school many a time to spend all afternoon playing Space Invaders in local leisure centre; and then at the weekend the local arcade which my parents told me was "too rough" for me. I also loved a game which I can't remember the name of - it was maybe called Asteroids as the point of the game was to shoot asteroids and each new level had a different spacecraft. I'll best go and search the interweb...

Asteriods was the one where you got your little machine to fly about the screen, just line graphics though.

Galaxian is another of my favourites !!

Happy for this thread to be about any game stuff actually. Such a difference between old and new !

Yeh this sounds like the same.

He won't need lights in the room as this thing has lit up fans. I think he will need to anchor himself to the chair with the air blast. He has done his reasearch though, I will give him that. :thumbsup:

He's going for an I7 4790K 4.0 GHZ (unlocked) and a MSI gaming mother board and a MSI GeForce 970 Twin Frozr, 16 GB of Ballistix Ram.. yadda yadda. SSD main drive and an 'initial' 2TB hard drive - more drives to follow ! The graphics card and CPU are near £600 ! :ohmy: His money.

PS I can't say anything as I built up a decent rig 10 years ago, and it's now the family computer and running Win 7 very nicely. Can't play the latest games at all, not even Minecraft - which is a bonus as it's the 'work' machine now !

Holy shoot! Things have certainly moved on...

Berk on a Bike

Veteran
Our environmental experience with a big box gaming pc is more dryness of air than heat. ES gets raw sinuses and has a humidifier to combat. All those fans whirring when it's under load!

Galaxian is another of my favourites !!
Yeh, that was cool, still not the one I was thinking of tho. I shall find it. And probably find out that there is a free version available - or someone is selling an old arcade version on ebay and end up getting into trouble from my wife again for buying it :laugh:

The server at work has 13 fans. Which reminds me it's been a long time since it was last cleaned out.
Was at the Bradford film and TV museum a few months ago, they have a whole room full of retro gaming consoles and lots of retro arcade machines

Top Bottom