Oh my god...what IS the point of THIS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tynan

Veteran
you don't see the word 'luxury' attached to a bike too often

excellent sarcasm lee

Cubist

Still wavin'
gaz said:
Thats a first i think.. lets hope the last as well.

RRP £199.99 lol!
It sold for 73.05, there are a dozen more on ebay, and they're selling like hot cakes. :thumbsup::eek: :sad:
I reckon it's the "high grade steel frame" that's the clincher.

tyred

Legendary Member
Considering how heavy a cheap full suspension bike is, I wouldn't like to carry one around with me.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Sheffield_Tiger said:
Note the last negative feedback for the seller!
this bike would have been very good but it had too many bits wrong with it.

But you never know, if you upgrade the wheels, frame, gear shifters, handlebars and saddle, it might be quite reasonable. That buyer paid over 80 quid!! FFS

mr Mag00

rising member
im selling my trek for one of these!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cubist said:
this bike would have been very good but it had too many bits wrong with it.

But you never know, if you upgrade the wheels, frame, gear shifters, handlebars and saddle, it might be quite reasonable. That buyer paid over 80 quid!! FFS

It's amazing what the uninformed will pay for what. 9 years ago, I went to the Uni bike auction with my boyfriend. It was a sale of all the bikesabandoned on campus over the year - quite a lot. Almost all of it was cheap dross, but kids were paying £50-60 for BSO's with rusted solid chains and disconnected brakes, because they looked, I dunno, cool? Red bikes sold for the most - seriously, it was that obvious just watching.

The flipside is that they didn't know real class. Tom spotted a pair of drop bars among the heap, investigated them, and I got my Dawes Galaxy (lilac, with white bar tape), for £15.

OT slightly. I went back the following year and witnessed this. A girl wanted a bike, and her BF was helping her choose. He picked one out, rolled it back and forth a bit, looked it over, it seemed ok. So he hoisted it into the air and asked her to turn the pedals - she did and the wheel span, this one was in moderately good condition.

He put it down and she said "Well, that's no good then." "Eh?" he said, "Why not?" "Well," she said, "the front wheel didnt go round..." I left him to explain....

Cubist

Still wavin'
^^^:smile::biggrin:^^^
Ebay is a bit of a giveaway for this. I notice time and again that the "well known brands" like Carrera and Appollo, Raleigh, Muddy Fox etc absolutley fly off ebay, but the steel Italian masterpieces struggle.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Arch said:
It's amazing what the uninformed will pay for what. 9 years ago, I went to the Uni bike auction with my boyfriend. It was a sale of all the bikesabandoned on campus over the year - quite a lot. Almost all of it was cheap dross, but kids were paying £50-60 for BSO's with rusted solid chains and disconnected brakes, because they looked, I dunno, cool? Red bikes sold for the most - seriously, it was that obvious just watching.

The flipside is that they didn't know real class. Tom spotted a pair of drop bars among the heap, investigated them, and I got my Dawes Galaxy (lilac, with white bar tape), for £15.

Its always been like that. When I lived in Hull I was always at the Wednesday morning auctions there which always had about 50-60 assorted bikes. It was where I picked up all my bikes from, and what I'd do was buy a whole bunch of old bikes for between £1-5 each, strip them all down, paint the best frames up with Humbrol enamel, slap generic decals (I had a drawer full of random cycle decals) and wire-wool the least rusted chrome, put all the best bits onto one or two bikes, put all the more rusted stuff back onto the worse frames and send the whole lot back, usually selling the 2 "best" ones for about £30/40 because they stood out, and getting my "stake money" back on the rusty tat. Meanwhile a lovely little Moulton in need of mild resto was mine for only a few quid - people were more interested in the shiny (that's because the enamel was still wet!!) newly painted things.

They did all work properly though and were set up right, I always made sure of that.

If I could get a rusted old MTB for £15, I'd take special care with doing that up, rubbed down, primed and sprayed in the cool colours of the time (luminous green - look, it's just like a Raleigh Lizard! :smile:) and new cables and handlebar grips for added "newness factor", because I knew I'd get about 400% markup

Top Bottom