Oh. My. God! Who's to blame?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I think this guy has watched a few too many lucas brunelle videos and is trying to copy him.

The cyclists a complete idiot to take a risk like that, but is it also the culture of many cyclists of "racing" others on your commute to work and this childish mentality of scalping, that you may be "scalped" or try to "scalp" others that can make cyclists take risks that way. Was he trying to race the cyclist with the camera?

Whilst you may think it is childish. If you take the time to read the rules, then it can only take place on non congested roads, basiclaly no filtering and it has to be done safely.

What's a "fakenger"?

Somebody who tries to copy (Fake) the bike Messenger style because the think its trendy.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
strange to say the video starts at Helmet Row....

anyroadup - all power to the boy. He's clearly speedy and quite durable. One suspects that he'd just come out of 'Look Mum...' fortified by one of their 'flat whites' and needed to be in Broadway Market to buy himself some socks - it's tragic that, after only a year of Coalition government, young people are enduring sock shortages. And, yes, I have screamed down Old Street at warp five, but always, always, always on the wrong side of the road.........

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
<Full on sarcasm mode> Blimey... spend some time away doing some work and come back to find everyone blaming the poor victim!!! </Full on sarcasm mode>

Yup, complete f*ckwit on the bike... I'd be livid if I was in the truck as clearly that will require some remedial paint work/dent removal (as well as stain removal on the driver's seat I would think!!) and I'm quite surprised the filming cyclists didn't stop to leave his details as a witness and make the people aware that there is video evidence should it be required.

The only other thing I will say is that the bus came veeeeeeeeeery close to the back of the truck when starting off... anyone have any ideas why as the gap looked pretty big!

Made me laugh the way the idiot throws his bike onto the pavement when he's stopped by the corner building... like it's the bike's fault! Muppet!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Just seen this posted over on Bike Radar.... words fail me. I'd be interested in seeing how different people dissect it to apportion blame for what happens.

Video is here

:wacko:

25% bus driver, 10% pick up, 65% cyclist. I apportioned the blame to the cyclist mostly on the ridiculous speed he does it at on top of committing identical stupidities that the bus driver does. I'm not a fan of people making up absurd excuses like "I only had 8 seconds to see him guv" as often blights these sort of things, but in this case you can see there was a 2 second window for both cyclist and bus driver to react and it was too late for the cyclist, and the bus driver probably couldn't even see him until even less than that.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
It does make you think though, had it been a tragic outcome and had there been no video of the incident....what would people be saying?

It's a good reminder of just how willfully stupid some people can be, cyclists included.

Asprilla

Neither, don't buy papers as they are usually full of shite, but why do you ask?

Mainly the fact that you clearly don't understand silly commuter racing, and yet have immediately linked it to this scenario on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. It's typical of the shite, as you put it, that is generally found in newspapers like the Daily Mail.

postman

Legendary Member
If i had been the driver of the truck .Minding my own ,that twat would be wearing both wheels as a necklace now .What an idiot .I hope he offered to pay for the damage ,sure tohad been some paint damage .Numpty .

OP
OP
Sh4rkyBloke

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
25% bus driver, 10% pick up, 65% cyclist. I apportioned the blame to the cyclist mostly on the ridiculous speed he does it at on top of committing identical stupidities that the bus driver does. I'm not a fan of people making up absurd excuses like "I only had 8 seconds to see him guv" as often blights these sort of things, but in this case you can see there was a 2 second window for both cyclist and bus driver to react and it was too late for the cyclist, and the bus driver probably couldn't even see him until even less than that.

I'm intrigued to see how/why the truck driver gets any blame in this.. and also some reasoning for the 25% for the bus driver when you then go on to say that he probably couldn't have seen the cyclist until the last second anyway. Have I misunderstood something in what you put? :wacko:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Mainly the fact that you clearly don't understand silly commuter racing, and yet have immediately linked it to this scenario on the basis of no evidence whatsoever. It's typical of the shite, as you put it, that is generally found in newspapers like the Daily Mail.

a little harsh there, I think it's quite easy to tie a link between 'time saving' risk taking and SCR - yes, I know there are rules for SCR but there are rules for lots of things, doesn't mean they get followed.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
not fair on the bus driver. They have a lot to do, and, by an large, look out for cyclists in a big way. I don't even think the pick-up driver had much to do with it.......

All I can say, from the standpoint who has been hauled off to A+E six times (and, five times out of six it was my fault) that riding a bike sometimes gets the better of your judgement. And, in this case, a decent set of brakes would have helped.

What's really striking is the bloke in the blue top going through the gap after him..

How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom