Oi! - shut up you noisy lot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dodgy

Both annoying, but in different ways.

Drago

Legendary Member
It's not just quiet chit-chat though is it? Cyclists shout at the top of their voices to warn each other about hazards and to banter and for anxious elderly folk living in a quiet village sudden shouting outside is quite upsetting. We lived for two years with a gang of teenagers gathering at nights outside a neighbour's house so all evening and late at night we were disturbed by shouting, screaming, squealing and all sorts of noise. There's nothing worse than loud uncouth voices outside in the dead of night when your windows are open and you're drifting off to sleep.

So I really sympathise with residents in quiet villages who find it upsetting and I'm surprised that contributors to this thread are so dismissive of the problem when cyclists are usually right-on and politically correct.
That's speculation, and considering there was only one complaint, and that complaint was never actually evidenced in any way despite the council being asked to do so, it is reasonable to conclude that your speculation is not applicable to this scenario.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The idea that people should keep the noise down is fair enough. After all I tend to hold off till say 10am if using power tools on the weekend, but the whole notion of cyclists being especially noisy is just offensive. Cycling per se is near silent, and how loud is chit chat from a small group after all? Sounds like a horrible person objecting to an out group, and hence should be reaponded to i kind
10 a freak'n m? Might as well be Rip Van Winkle, if you're sleeping that late.
You are a very polite and civil person, @Profpointy .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
That's speculation, and considering there was only one complaint, and that complaint was never actually evidenced in any way despite the council being asked to do so, it is reasonable to conclude that your speculation is not applicable to this scenario.
There is always one complaint, about any given issue. Response to a single complaint should be more limited, unless there is evidence more feel that way. Signs always lead to more problems, especially when you single out a group like that.

overmind

My other bike is a Pinarello
Streisand Effect triggered in 3..2..1...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect

Globalti

Legendary Member
A group of cyclists passing through the village and one shouting "Car back!" is a little bit different to a group of rowdy teenagers shouting and screaming outside a house in the evening.

No different and just as disturbing. You're an elderly person sitting quietly dozing or reading your Sunday paper when suddenly you hear male voices shouting out in the street, loudly because the rush of air in the ears makes it hard for cyclists to hear their cycling companions. Old people are often nervous and especially sensitive to disturbance and loud noises so sudden shouting is as upsetting for them as a gang of teenagers squealing late at night.

Is forum members' inability to appreciate this fact linked to some riders' arrogant disregard for traffic lights and the rules of the road?

Last edited:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Saw this sign whilst out on my ride today.

View attachment 453980

It's at the entrance to the village of Upper Dunsforth just south of Boroughbridge in N Yorks. The village is on a very minor road, and consists of 20 to 30 mahoosive houses all with fancy motors on the drive. You can smell the money.

I cycle this route fairly regularly, and very seldom see another cyclist, so just don't get what the problem is?

The area is prime "horsey" territory so presume they don't object to equestrians clip-clopping their way up the street. It is also surrounded by farmland so will gets lots of noise from tractors working the fields etc.

Haters are always gonna hate, I guess.
That could be aimed at a guy i ride with in the club.:laugh:

Top Bottom