Oi! - shut up you noisy lot

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
For extra annoyance book our local one: The trombonist plays loudly and out of tune.

You may jest

upload_2019-2-25_18-38-9.jpeg

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sometimes, when the weather's just right and I'm really enjoying a ride I have been known to sing while I'm riding :wub:.
I found a way to cure myself of that habit...! :laugh:

I embarrassed myself on my Yorkshire Dales forum ride from Settle. I was riding along with a CycleChat member who I had met for the first time that morning. We had just entered a little village and I saw that it was called Clapham. I turned to face the other rider, smiled, and burst into song ...

ColinJ: "I never thought it could happen, with me and a girl from Clapham, out on the windy common, that night I aint forgotten."

Other Rider, looking startled: "Sorry?"

CJ, cheerfully: "Squeeze!"

OR: "Huh?"

CJ, faltering: "Up the Junction?"

OR, now looking worried about riding with me: "Eh?"

CJ, going red, feeling foolish: "Never mind, you are probably too young to remember 70s chart hits!"

lane

Veteran
There was a post on another cycling forum (I think) by a lady who I would guess lived in a nice village in the country somewhere. She was asking, quite politely, for cyclists on early morning runs to to talk or shout loudly passing peoples houses at the weekend, when some others are having a lie in. Now I didn't really feel a lot of sympathy for her. On the other hand there is another thread on this forum where people appear to suffer mental anguish from all sorts of noise polution. Maybe having noisy cyclists pass your house at 7 on a Saturday morning is as anoying to her as someone vacuming a car out on Saturday afternoon is to others on here. Sometimes you have to look at things from the other persons point of view. Still putting a sign up is just stupid it clearly won't have the desired effect quite the reverse I would imagine.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
There was a post on another cycling forum (I think) by a lady who I would guess lived in a nice village in the country somewhere. She was asking, quite politely, for cyclists on early morning runs to to talk or shout loudly passing peoples houses at the weekend, when some others are having a lie in. Now I didn't really feel a lot of sympathy for her. On the other hand there is another thread on this forum where people appear to suffer mental anguish from all sorts of noise polution. Maybe having noisy cyclists pass your house at 7 on a Saturday morning is as anoying to her as someone vacuming a car out on Saturday afternoon is to others on here. Sometimes you have to look at things from the other persons point of view. Still putting a sign up is just stupid it clearly won't have the desired effect quite the reverse I would imagine.

The idea that people should keep the noise down is fair enough. After all I tend to hold off till say 10am if using power tools on the weekend, but the whole notion of cyclists being especially noisy is just offensive. Cycling per se is near silent, and how loud is chit chat from a small group after all? Sounds like a horrible person objecting to an out group, and hence should be reaponded to i kind

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I think something louder and more brash is needed.

Or a more traditional arrangement.

ChrisPAmbulance

A while back, some uppity posh snob from Great Budworth made a post on the CyclingUK forum asking riders to stop shouting to each other as they passed through the village.
I know some people can have spectacularly big gobs, but surely even a Fiat 500 makes more noise than Lance Armstrong shooting up as he claims another cheated win?
I have a spectacularly big gob. I was once employed at the National Indoor Arena as the only person who could make themselves heard across it without a microphone.

Where is this village - I need to do some tuning up.

dodgy

To be fair, the issue in Great Budworth came about because cyclists were stopping at the roadside near the village for a pee. And the cyclists were swearing loudly as they passed through the village. Very popular cycling area so it was happening a lot

I just read the thread here, I think the OP made a very fair and polite point. https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?t=107929

Edit: Just realised that this isn't the thread about Great Budworth, though it is mentioned.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a spectacularly big gob. I was once employed at the National Indoor Arena as the only person who could make themselves heard across it without a microphone.

Where is this village - I need to do some tuning up.
Me too
16 years working in a place with mandatory hearing protection means i tend to be loud even when i dont need too

Globalti

Legendary Member
It's not just quiet chit-chat though is it? Cyclists shout at the top of their voices to warn each other about hazards and to banter and for anxious elderly folk living in a quiet village sudden shouting outside is quite upsetting. We lived for two years with a gang of teenagers gathering at nights outside a neighbour's house so all evening and late at night we were disturbed by shouting, screaming, squealing and all sorts of noise. There's nothing worse than loud uncouth voices outside in the dead of night when your windows are open and you're drifting off to sleep.

So I really sympathise with residents in quiet villages who find it upsetting and I'm surprised that contributors to this thread are so dismissive of the problem when cyclists are usually right-on and politically correct.

dodgy

I find newer cyclists tend to over-communicate hazards, lots of "CARRRRRR!!!!" and "CLEARRRRR!!!!". More experienced club riders are more in tune with each other, they can communicate all manner of things without raising voices. It's one of the things I notice most about groups of experienced and inexperienced riders.

Top Bottom