Oi! Take your gel packets home with you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
if not are you aware that lifting a watermarked photograph from Alamy or any news site to which the copyright belongs to the photographer is breaking the law and is known as copyright infringement
The source image has not been lifted or copied or "ripped off", so no, it's not known as that. Copyright trolls disgust me. Photographers should be paid decently for photographing and not be expected to use artificial legal monopolies to try to compensate for being underpaid in the first place.

An instruction (bbcode) was placed in the comment telling browsers to load the image from Alamy's server - you can verify that by right-clicking and picking "View Image Info" in some browsers - and if Alamy has a problem with that, then they can block this site from their servers by various tactics. Or they might prefer the advertising from their branding on the bottom of the image.

Old Steve

The source image has not been lifted or copied or "ripped off", so no, it's not known as that. Copyright trolls disgust me. Photographers should be paid decently for photographing and not be expected to use artificial legal monopolies to try to compensate for being underpaid in the first place.

An instruction (bbcode) was placed in the comment telling browsers to load the image from Alamy's server - you can verify that by right-clicking and picking "View Image Info" in some browsers - and if Alamy has a problem with that, then they can block this site from their servers by various tactics. Or they might prefer the advertising from their branding on the bottom of the image.
As I said it is not a problem to me... But it is not a link to the photo... It is a watermarked copy of the photo...

jim55

Guru
I Am not sure if you are a Alamy live news/ stock photographer or not, if you are ....hello fellow news photographer..... if not are you aware that lifting a watermarked photograph from Alamy or any news site to which the copyright belongs to the photographer is breaking the law and is known as copyright infringement, the Image is not one of mine so doesn't effect me... But I was going to point out that I make more money per image ( a lot more ) by chasing copyright infringement ( theft ) than I do from licensing the images legitimately in the first place..
As I said not a problem to me and maybe you are a fellow news/stock photographer.. If not I expect that the other photographers do the same as me and check most days with Google reverse search or tin eye to see which of their images are getting ripped off and where they are being used.

Quick edit, I just checked the image and the photographer who owner the copyright is known to me....so maybe your name is Simon ....... But also possibly not.
Who gives a stuff re what / where that pic came from , the point still stands , are water bottles exempt from reporting on , its a good one and very valid

winjim

Smash the cistern
Home_taping_is_killing_music.png

I Am not sure if you are a Alamy live news/ stock photographer or not, if you are ....hello fellow news photographer..... if not are you aware that lifting a watermarked photograph from Alamy or any news site to which the copyright belongs to the photographer is breaking the law and is known as copyright infringement, the Image is not one of mine so doesn't effect me... But I was going to point out that I make more money per image ( a lot more ) by chasing copyright infringement ( theft ) than I do from licensing the images legitimately in the first place..
As I said not a problem to me and maybe you are a fellow news/stock photographer.. If not I expect that the other photographers do the same as me and check most days with Google reverse search or tin eye to see which of their images are getting ripped off and where they are being used.

Quick edit, I just checked the image and the photographer who owner the copyright is known to me....so maybe your name is Simon ....... But also possibly not.
You sir - and please don't take this the wrong way - are an idiot. I'd say well under half the images posted on this site are being shared by the copyright holder, or with the copyright holders permission yet as far as I can see, you have decided to single me out - you don't routinely harange people here for copyright infringement. As @mjr points out, I have not copied the image, but have hotlinked* it. That means
  1. Alamy know I am doing this
  2. Alamy could stop me doing it if they wanted. This is a trivial bit of code server side to only display images on their site.
But they don't want to stop me sharing their images, and I can guess why. Time for another short list!
  1. They know anyone who is satisfied with a watermarked image is not about to buy an image and will not be using it commercially, so they are not losing a sale
  2. They are getting free advertising! If anyone in the market for a stock image of a marathon drinks station finds this thread, and wants to license that image, it has all the information for them to buy the image. If you to alamy.com, and type in the code the search box, it takes you straight to http://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=ekm4tc. @Shaun should be charging them. :smile:
Appendix
*Hotlink - if you don't know what I mean, either right click with your mouse on that image, or press and hold on it if you are using tablet/phone. When the menu pops up, choose "Open image in new tab" (or similar). Go to the new tab, check the address of the image. It is on alamy.com. I haven't copied or stolen anything, except bandwidth

Last edited:

Old Steve

You sir - and please don't take this the wrong way - are an idiot. I'd say well under half the images posted on this site are being shared by the copyright holder, or with the copyright holders permission yet as far as I can see, you have decided to single me out - you don't routinely harange people here for copyright infringement. As @mjr points out, I have not copied the image, but have hotlinked* it. That means
  1. Alamy know I am doing this
  2. Alamy could stop me doing it if they wanted. This is a trivial bit of code server side to only display images on their site.
But they don't want to stop me sharing their images, and I can guess why. Time for another short list!
  1. They know anyone who is satisfied with a watermarked image is not about to buy an image and will not be using it commercially, so they are not losing a sale
  2. They are getting free advertising! If anyone in the market for a stock image of a marathon drinks station finds this thread, and wants to license that image, it has all the information for them to buy the image. If you to alamy.com, and type in the code the search box, it takes you straight to http://www.alamy.com/search.html?qt=ekm4tc. @Shaun should be charging them. :smile:
Appendix
*Hotlink - if you don't know what I mean, either right click with your mouse on that image, or press and hold on it if you are using tablet/phone. When the menu pops up, choose "Open image in new tab" (or similar). Go to the new tab, check the address of the image. It is on alamy.com. I haven't copied or stolen anything, except bandwidth

When I first posted in this thread, politely I might say, I also said you might be the copyright holder of the photograph and if so hello fellow Alamy photographer ( as I did not know if it was yours or not) and of not it was just a friendly chat saying that although it was not my image the copyright holder might be one of the many professional photographers who spend many thousands of pounds carrying out there profession who look regularly to see where there images turn up.. I know I do.. ( just a friendly heads up really ) as I also said it is not a problem with me as it is not one of mine.
Oh and one last thing, I am now 56 years old and have retired ( as I have now got to be where I want in life, ) apart from taking a few worthy pictures when I see them, I also have a large image and footage library which is spread across several stock libraries my work has paid for two properties, several cars and motorcycles as well as a few bicycles and I don't owe a penny to anyone.... So if that makes me a idiot bring it I am a fairly happy idiot :smile:

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
When I first posted in this thread, politely I might say, I also said you might be the copyright holder of the photograph and if so hello fellow Alamy photographer ( as I did not know if it was yours or not) and of not it was just a friendly chat saying that although it was not my image the copyright holder might be one of the many professional photographers who spend many thousands of pounds carrying out there profession who look regularly to see where there images turn up.. I know I do.. ( just a friendly heads up really ) as I also said it is not a problem with me as it is not one of mine.
Oh and one last thing, I am now 56 years old and have retired ( as I have now got to be where I want in life, ) apart from taking a few worthy pictures when I see them, I also have a large image and footage library which is spread across several stock libraries my work has paid for two properties, several cars and motorcycles as well as a few bicycles and I don't owe a penny to anyone.... So if that makes me a idiot bring it I am a fairly happy idiot :smile:
You're not happy really though are you? Not deep down, I can tell. Don't worry though, if you ever want to talk about it we're here for you.

Here, I think you could use a hug :hugs:

Old Steve

You're not happy really though are you? Not deep down, I can tell. Don't worry though, if you ever want to talk about it we're here for you.

Here, I think you could use a hug :hugs:
thanks for the hug, as to whether I am happy or not... well let me think, next week do me and the wife stay at our house on the beach or the one in the country ? shall i go out on one of my bicycles or a motorcycle ? should i maybe go away somewhere and take some photo's for pleasure ? perhaps i will go and buy some new toys or shall i start the new cabin project in the garden at my seaside house, phew thats a lot of choices so I don't really have time to be unhappy.....PS, I have worked very hard to get all that I have got and I still get up at 5.30 every morning to cram all the things that i want to do throughout the day.... retirement at fifty five eh, I dont know where people find the time.

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
When I first posted in this thread, politely I might say,
Steve - I don't think you're an idiot and think you have been very polite and measured. But some people don't agree with your terminology and taken umbrage at your analysis. You've had to work hard/fight for recompense for the images you've captured, published and then others have used without 'permission' and approach this from that perspective.
To twist this into a 'positive' for all (hugs and happiness all round), please could you offer us (this thread) one of your favourite images (preferably cycling related)? A bonus would be that it's one which you've had to chase copyright infringers on. If you can offer a link which illustrates the challenge of photographers in this copyright are(n)a, that would be educational, and no more off topic than the 'spat' above.
I hope you chose the 'ride a bike' option today and you have (already had) a superb ride in this Indian Summer (YWMV).

winjim

Smash the cistern
Steve - I don't think you're an idiot and think you have been very polite and measured. But some people don't agree with your terminology and taken umbrage at your analysis. You've had to work hard/fight for recompense for the images you've captured, published and then others have used without 'permission' and approach this from that perspective.
To twist this into a 'positive' for all (hugs and happiness all round), please could you offer us (this thread) one of your favourite images (preferably cycling related)? A bonus would be that it's one which you've had to chase copyright infringers on. If you can offer a link which illustrates the challenge of photographers in this copyright are(n)a, that would be educational, and no more off topic than the 'spat' above.
I hope you chose the 'ride a bike' option today and you have (already had) a superb ride in this Indian Summer (YWMV).
That's an admirably conciliatory tone, but I'm afraid he lost my respect for good when he decided to start bragging about his wealth. That's not polite at all.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I’ve just got around to reading the original article.

An important thing here is “Gel packs, particularly the tear-off opening strips […] cleaning contractors used by the organisers to clear up failed to find these items.” It’s the little bits of litter that are key here, and they are escaping the clean-up operations of the events.

Now, there may be a great many responsible gel users out there who take the wrapper home, but still discard the opening bit, thinking it irrelevant, or aren’t very careful when opening. As these people are already responsible, a bit of education there may be well received.

Energy gels are so unnecessary. In the old days, we kept a potato in our shorts and nibbled on it if we were hungry. I didn't get where I am today by consuming gel. And as for drinking bottles, when I'm thirsty, I suck on a stone. It seems to work fine.
A stone? When I was a lad there was nothing but lava.

Last edited:
Top Bottom