Oil light on the car ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yup , the oil light on mrs ck driven family car so she bought a load of oil and put it in, oil light is still on and smoke coming out of the exhaust .
Had a look this morning and i saw the oil was overfull and leaking out of the oil pressure sensor, phoned the garage who said the sensors on this car are known as a bit pants so i took it down today , they drained 4 ltrs of oil out and its booked in for a new sensor !
Lets hope thats all that needs fixing ........

screenman

Legendary Member
Most oil warning lights warn you of low pressure rather than low level. What type of car?

keithmac

Guru
I drained 8 litres out of a motorcycle not long back, I presume the oil level was over the top of the window to start with and they kept going..

Air filter was saturated as it had forced a load up through the crankcase breathers.

wonderloaf

Veteran
Not a BMW is it? The yellow 'oil can' light on my S3 comes on on mine, but this shows oil level not not oil pressure, so I check the level and if OK ignore it.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Most oil warning lights warn you of low pressure rather than low level. What type of car?
Meriva 8 plate tbh its been nowt but trouble recently and last payment on finance was this month , i wanted to keep it a while but i am in half a mind to part chop it once its fixed against a new dacia .

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We rented a car on Vancouver Island about ten years ago. It had less than ten thousand kilometres on the clock. When a warning light started flashing, we phoned the hire company.

"All those sensors are completely unreliable. Just ignore them. Have a great vacation."

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I saw an American struggling to open the bonnet on a new Mercedes at a filling station in Scotland.

Exercising my licence to interfere, I learned it was a hire car, and the oil warning light had come on.

After a few minutes head scratching, I worked out the internal bonnet release of the car released a flat plastic lever which poked through the front grille - not easy to spot unless you were looking for it.

Bonnet open, we found an all but dry dipstick, so it appeared the car was low on oil.

The light went out after a top-up of a litre or two.

The other thing I recall was the American was very polite to the point of being subservient, he kept on calling me 'sir' even though I was younger than him.

His wife sat in the car throughout with the door shut and windows wound up, not saying a word to her husband or me.

GuyBoden

Guru
I've put in a few oil sensors on Vauxhall's, they have a tendency to fail and then oil squirts out of them, but they're easy to fit and cost about £3.

My first car was a Morris 1100 (don't laugh!!!!) and the previous owner had put wider alloy wheels on it. Not stupidly big, but fatter than standard. It held the road really well, but if driven enthusiastically the oil light would come on, during right hand cornering, as I assume all the oil flowed to one end of the (non-baffled) sump.

I don't think I have ever had another car that has shown me an oil warning light at any time.

But we did have a Peugeot which showed the brake warning light as we drove up a really steep hill, leaving me to panic what was going to happen when we tried to drive back down again. Of course, it was only the float in the brake fluid reservoir reacting because we were on such a steep incline that it was accidentally registering empty......

Oldbloke

Guru
A bloke I worked with took his company Volvo in to the garage as the engine was making seriously bad noises. The garage told him it was ruined due to being driven with low oil level; I asked him if the level warning light had come on and his reply...."only when I went round corners"

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My niece was driving from Swansea to visit her parents 70 miles away. Shortly after setting off the temperature guage went into the red and the warning light came on. Being an intelligent university educated woman with a highly responsible job she decided she wouldn't take any chances and she'd ask dad to investigate in about sixty miles time.

Work the next bit out yourselves.

ayceejay

Guru
I had a Nissan Altima and the warning light came on, I remember the old days when this was immediately followed by an explosion so I paid $69 for a computer check, no more of that screwdriver on the ear nonsense. The mechanic opened the gas filling cap rubbed around with some emery cloth put some grease on shut the cap and the stupid light went out. He said, next time just disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Top Bottom