Oil light on the car ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
My chum's Lotus Cortina MkII used to have oil starvation trouble on right handers. The original oil pick up pipe was a simple straight pipe terminating on the right side of the sump. We made a new pick up pipe that terminated nearer the centre of the sump, and that sorted the problem. This worked even on track days at Brands Hatch, including around Clearways, which goes on forever. I suppose that dates me a bit; I understand that the old Clearways now comprises MacLaren, Clearways and Clark. Still a nice circuit though.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Long ago, a mate had a Skoda Estelle and enthusiastic cornering could get every warning light on the dashboard on, as well as seeing all the gauges swinging about in line with the cornering forces.

Oh and just for fun:

:laugh:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Now we're talking real automotive exotica, I could get the petrol tank gauge on my old deux chevaux to read anywhere from flat empty to chock full depending on whether we were going right or left. Other than the speedo, it was the only gauge on the dashboard, and was definitely the most active.

Meriva 8 plate tbh its been nowt but trouble recently and last payment on finance was this month , i wanted to keep it a while but i am in half a mind to part chop it once its fixed against a new dacia .

Oil sensors on Vauxhall's are renowned for going faulty out of every 5 I sold 4 were for Vauxhalls! (when I was in car parts) and.....

My Dacia is over 3 years old and has never been in to the dealer for a fault..... it does however suffer from extreme uninterestingnessanitus......

But would recommend one, the model I bought is still well under 7K brand new, however I might consider a Suzuki Celerio next time bit smaller but similar money

raleighnut

Legendary Member
My chum's Lotus Cortina MkII used to have oil starvation trouble on right handers. The original oil pick up pipe was a simple straight pipe terminating on the right side of the sump. We made a new pick up pipe that terminated nearer the centre of the sump, and that sorted the problem. This worked even on track days at Brands Hatch, including around Clearways, which goes on forever. I suppose that dates me a bit; I understand that the old Clearways now comprises MacLaren, Clearways and Clark. Still a nice circuit though.
T'aint as long as 'Gerrards' :becool:

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Oil sensors on Vauxhall's are renowned for going faulty out of every 5 I sold 4 were for Vauxhalls! (when I was in car parts) and.....

My Dacia is over 3 years old and has never been in to the dealer for a fault..... it does however suffer from extreme uninterestingnessanitus......

But would recommend one, the model I bought is still well under 7K brand new, however I might consider a Suzuki Celerio next time bit smaller but similar money
Went and had a look today , Mrs had a test drive in a stepway but needs wise i am looking at a sandero ambiance with optional seat height as a must as mrs CK is under 5 foot .Another issue is she cant reach the inside of the boot to shut it without pulling on the side of the window .Do you know of any modifications we could do like a strap to pull it down ?
She also likes a Renault Captur, we are test driving one on Tuesday , tested an astra and i didnt like it as i found the rear view window very small .

Went and had a look today , Mrs had a test drive in a stepway but needs wise i am looking at a sandero ambiance with optional seat height as a must as mrs CK is under 5 foot .Another issue is she cant reach the inside of the boot to shut it without pulling on the side of the window .Do you know of any modifications we could do like a strap to pull it down ?
She also likes a Renault Captur, we are test driving one on Tuesday , tested an astra and i didnt like it as i found the rear view window very small .

Mines the ambiance model. Don't know of any mods for the boot lid, a strap could be fitted I reckon, if you do buy one be careful of the back doors. The back edge is a funny angle and can give you a black eye if you aren't careful.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Well £40 for a new oil sensor ,garage said the timing chain loud which i agree with as i thought something sounded not right but as i only really drive the car at the weekend i dont get to her the car every day .
Looking at £400 for a new timing chain, cars only worth about £1000 on for trade in so a replacement asap i think .

Drago

Legendary Member
What state is the tensioner in? Could be easy and cheap to sort.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
What state is the tensioner in? Could be easy and cheap to sort.
+1 a lot of automatic tensioners don't really do their job and need a helping tweak, depends on the engine. I changed the timing chain on Pam's (my ex) 205 and it only quietened it down a bit, the rest of the racket was clutch 'chatter' at tickover.

midlife

Guru
[QUOTE 4713552, member: 9609"]I didn't think they put timing chains on cars now, I thought they were all belts - how many miles has it got on, I would have thought a chain would be good for 200k on a car, I'm sure when they are bad they make a hell of a racket. Mind you if it snaps you need a new enginge so you have to make the right choice.[/QUOTE]

I think some Audi's still have timing chains?

Shaun

Drago

Legendary Member
Timing chains are moderately common. The idea being that they're 'fit and forget', which allows tighter clearances and a more compact package as the engine is thus designed never to need to come out, or to have the space for a belt to be accessed in situ. Unfortunately, as BMW discovered to their great cost, if you go down this route you better over-design your chain and tensioner. Alas they didn't, and due to cost most manufacturers don't.

In reality a belt is quieter, lighter, presents much less in the way of inertial losses, and really is no big deal to pay to replace every 8-10 years or so. Chains are more hassle than a properly maintained vehicle with a belt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lots of cars are still chain and it makes a lot of sense. They are usually fit for the life of the car so long as you change oil when you are supposed to. Nissan and Toyota are mainly chain. My wife's old car was 17 and mine is 15 - chains totally silent. Belts do need to be changed on schedule which is about 60k or based on time depending on manufacturer.

As with belts though, if one snaps it's usually the end of an engine ! If the car is running fine, then the chain won't need doing, and as has been said, it could be the tensioner. One car I had years back was always a little noisy on the chain, but using one particular oil it was very quiet.

Top Bottom