Old broken bones......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Among the joys of the cold snap I've been getting a pain in my wrist that I broke some 26 years ago.

The initial x-ray inspection regarded the injury as a minor fracture, I was given a tubular bandage and sent home.
Five painful days later I went back the hospital to check my wrist again to find it was in fact more seriously broken than had first been assumed.

This time I was given a fresh tubular bandage, a sling and a warning not to use that arm for at least a week or two.

So now jump to present day, at odd times over the years I have felt a general ache in the bone but it has become a more pronounced pain in the last month.

Is this just me getting old?
Do old war wounds come back to haunt you years later?

Any thoughts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Having trouble with my shoulder after last year's accident, gone loads worse with the cold...

Old gits.........xx(

lukesdad

Arthritis is a danger around old breaks especially around joints like wrists shoulders etc. Flares up in cold damp weather gota touch in my shoulder which Ibroke in my younger days, as you say old age.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
my son and i were rear ended (we, stationary, other driver 70mph!!) in september. we were carted off in an ambulance and x rayed etc etc. we were sent home as we checked out ok. the day after my elbow started aching and gradually got worse. the physio i was having caused severe pain. i went to the doctors and explained. she said it is possible to fracture bones and for the fracture not to show on initial x rays and won't show up until quite some time after the break (apparently it is the bone repair that shows up, not the fine fracture). she sent me for some x rays (approx 10 weeks after the accident) it turned out that i had broken a small bone in my elbow a long time before the accident and the accident had just caused an aggravation in the not perfectly repaired bones. i had a cortizone injection recently (9 days ago, i think) and hopefully that will sort it out.

what i'm trying to say is that you may have something similar, i.e., an old injury not quite fixed properly and is being aggravated by the vibrations of cycling. it might be worth a visit to the doctors.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
ps,

just remembered something my doctor and physio told me. taking 1200mg of ibroprufen every day for a few weeks helps to reduce the inflammation and pain associated with inflamed joints.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Thank you for your thoughts, I feared it was old age encroaching.

It has been an 'in the bone' pain, like the bone is turning to cold metal, there is no swelling, heat or loss of movement and seems more just a reaction to the cold.

I think I've minimised the problem with a pair of long cuff gloves that go over the cuffs of my jacket sleeves eliminating any harsh drafts of air that were whistling up my arms.
If it stays this cold I might start strapping my wrist for insulation and a bit of extra support. And I'm going to get it checked again.

I do get some vibration pain in my hand, from another break, same arm, more recent, but having the drops gives me more positions to rest it unlike the MTB and the trike on which my hand could get really uncomfortable on longer journeys.

I was warned by my elders that all the knocks your body takes and you shrug off in your youth can have a nasty habit of revisiting you in later days.

*Pulls rug back over knees, settles back in bath chair and sips coco.*:rolleyes:

Landslide

Rare Migrant
tdr1nka said:
*Pulls rug back over knees, settles back in bath chair and sips coco.*:biggrin:
chanel%2Bno.5.jpg

???
Not sure that's gonna help much...:rolleyes:

Attachments

• chanel%2Bno.5.jpg
    chanel%2Bno.5.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 45

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I have got an unexplained pain near the hinge of my jaw on the left hand side,:biggrin: and moderate ear ache, and slight pain/stiffness in my neck on the left hand side.

I do not remember going six rounds with Joe Calzaghe, or at least I cannot remember what he drinks. :rolleyes:

Large quantities of Ibuprofen give me a headache and tummy upset. Can you suggest anything else? And yes, I will be consulting a triage nurse tomorrow if it has not improved. I was at the dentist last Monday, and he cleaned and polished my tootypegs - cue much vibration, but I would have thought it is too long since then for pain to appear now.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
When I search for Ear ache on NHS direct, I get about a dozen things it could be, inc tonsillitus, tooth absess and measles.:wacko: I think I should stay warm indoors, and not go to the Carol Concert, and risk passing whatever it is to others.

OP
OP
tdr1nka

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Thank you for the advice, having heard similar things I actively avoid painkillers unless it's for something serious that is healing like when I broke my hand or for the angle grinder wound(twelve stitches)I took to my left knee.:wacko:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
youngoldbloke said:
Beware long term use of high dose Ibuprofen: http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Painkillers-ibuprofen/Pages/Side-effects.aspx?url=Pages/what-is-it.aspx
I have personal experience, having been prescribed slow release Ibuprofen for chronic hip pain, which resulted in ulceration and bleeding of the stomach.
A mate of mine broke a finger when learning to ski. He had it taped up and took Ibuprofen to see him through his skiing holiday. He started feeling ill on the final day and brought up blood on the way to the airport but decided that rather than miss his flight, he'd see a doctor when he got back to the UK. He had a wretched flight. As he finally walked in his door, he started vomiting large quantities of blood. He managed to phone for help before collapsing and fortunately for him, an ambulance was nearby at the time. Paramedics arrived on the scene in less than 5 minutes and found him lying in a pool of blood. They saved his life, but it was a very close call.

The problem turned out to be a perforated ulcer due to the Ibuprofen. It's rather put me off the stuff! :wacko:

Top Bottom