Old Carlton frame, any value??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jonathan M

My father has recently dug out an old bike from the back of his garage, and has asked me if it is worth doing up. I've replied no, becuase so much of it has been left to rot (literally) and as far as I can see the only part of the bike that may be salveagable is the frame.

What we know about it:
There is a Carlton headtube badge, in silver/chrome, which has the image of a racer and "world champion" stripes across it.
My father got the bike in the early '80's second hand - had been repainted, but then someone (OK me :blush:) decided that I could do a better job so currently it has a truly, truly, foul combination of black cellulose paint, red under-coat, gold hammerite. The frame tubing sticker is still just visible and I've got a feeling that it describes the frame as being 531, main tubes only.

It is designed for 27" wheels, did have mudguards which are still on, but in a very poor state.

Drivetrain says Raleigh cranks, downtube rusty shifters, no front mech and a rear-mech that might be a Sun-tour. Brakes are centre-pull Weinnmann calipers.

Saddle was a Brooks (note the use of the word was) and of biggest concern is that the seatpost has corroded and splintered badly, would need more skill and patience to remove than I could ever muster.

Damp has got to the components which are rusted, there is an area on the seat-tube that appears to be bare metal that shows no evidence of rust, but it may just be sone of the original coats of paint showing through.

So the big question is, before my father takes it on its last ride to the big re-cycling skip in the sky, whether any vintage bike people could make any use of it, I truly do not know if it can be fully restored, but would like to make an effort to see if anyone could make something of it before it gets binned.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
it's a good make of frame, try ebaying it.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Agree, 531 bikes are usually in some kind of demand and Carltons are among the collectable. Old 531 frames/bikes are great for fixie building.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

OK, Fab has a good point, it does have horizontal drop outs so a fixie may be an option (for someone other than me, I really have no room for another bike).

@Jimbo, I'm unsure of size, can find out if you are interested. I'm going to say its pretty big, but then I'm comparing to my modern 54cm frame. For some reason 23" springs to mind, but do not qoute me.

OP
OP
J

Jonathan M

swee said:
Very similar, including that odd sort of way that old bikes seem to have really short seatposts compared to nowadays. Headtube badge looks the same, but I am unsure if the frame in my dads possession has any other wording on it.

Hmmm, methinks I might just try and find room for it, and that would be a nice winter restoration project. I assume finding the period parts would be "interesting" though!

Top Bottom