'Old Man's Bowls'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
That's what the runner Brendan Foster once called it on A Question of Sport,not me. Do you, or have any of you played it? I've been invited to join in the fun up my local park. One of the older chaps near to me plays in two teams and according to another player down my local pub, the one who's invited me to play is 'the best bowler in Arrod'. Arrod being the local slang term for the town of Great Harwood where i live. The bloke who's invited me to play is very modest as he's never said this about himself at all,just that he likes to play quite a lot. There's a tournament on today at another venue here,which i'm told will attract hundreds of spectators. I might have a look up. According to reports you can buy pie and peas for 2 quid,and cans of beer are only one pound each.:smile:
Have you seen the price of a set of bowls though?!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drakes-Pride-Lawn-Bowls-Clearance-/123139358270 :ohmy:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5271743, member: 9609"]as in Bowling ^_^ - that's a relief from the thread title I was worried the it might have been about something else.[/QUOTE]
No,i made sure i spelt it right before posting.:smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
I spent 13 years maintaining bowling greens,
I hate bowlers with a passion..

25 years on?
I still do.....
With no-one playing bowls, you'd have had nowt to do.

T4tomo

Guru
They are keen to recruit as it does have an image as a pensioners sport, and predominantly is on a recreational level. Such is the age profile of participants, that 2 people a day in the UK die whilst playing bowls, which makes it statistically much more dangerous than cycling.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My friends dad caused a club committee incident because his bowls didn’t have enough bias in them, which meant his balls went too straight.
Apparently there is a minimum weight to ensure the balls bend.

Top Bottom