'Old Man's Bowls'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I thought it said old mans bowels !

I need to get new glasses!

Slick

Guru
A few boys at my work play, I only get involved a few times a year when we have a bowling day that more often than not turns into a sesh. What never fails to amaze me in a Glasgow bowling club is the number of quality ladies and gents with the confidence to just have a good time without caring two hoots who you are or where your from or what you have or haven't got. It's still quite an old fashioned place with the ladies just coming in to cook for the gents but they tell me it's required for the long term survival of the club. There's one club in the east end that always gives us a great welcome and I always enjoy the odd afternoon there but they are all pretty much the same all over as far as I know. It's not really my sport, (although big Tattie Marshall did his best to hook me in) but it is my kind of person that frequents these places and I'm sure you'll find it similar Accy. Enjoy.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I've just been to see what it's like at the tournament they're having. I'd say there were about 150-200 watching and taking part. I've had a word with the 'best bowler in Arrod' telling him that somebody was singing his praises down the pub last night. He was so pleased about being called that, he said he would lend me his second best bowels if i wanted to have a go.:okay:

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If I were you I'd politely decline!
Why?. I'm not going to buy some,just to see if i like it or not.

Serge

Über Member
[QUOTE 5271743, member: 9609"]as in Bowling ^_^ - that's a relief from the thread title I was worried the it might have been about something else.[/QUOTE]
I read it as "Old Man's Bowels" as well at first.

Serge

Über Member
That's what the runner Brendan Foster once called it on A Question of Sport,not me. Do you, or have any of you played it? I've been invited to join in the fun up my local park. One of the older chaps near to me plays in two teams and according to another player down my local pub, the one who's invited me to play is 'the best bowler in Arrod'. Arrod being the local slang term for the town of Great Harwood where i live. The bloke who's invited me to play is very modest as he's never said this about himself at all,just that he likes to play quite a lot. There's a tournament on today at another venue here,which i'm told will attract hundreds of spectators. I might have a look up. According to reports you can buy pie and peas for 2 quid,and cans of beer are only one pound each.:smile:
Have you seen the price of a set of bowls though?!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drakes-Pride-Lawn-Bowls-Clearance-/123139358270 :ohmy:
All I'll say is: go for it, it's great fun with a good social life attached.

Top Bottom