'Old Man's Bowls'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I used to play every time my ex and I went up to her parents in Blackburn, they even had a circular 'crown green' there, much better than flat greens IMO.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
If i take something up i have to take it seriously. I've seen people playing bowls in what some would call posh areas(Lytham St Annes and Cornwall), wearing all white clothing. Would i look ok in a white cap,white v neck jumper and white flannels i wonder? :scratch:Or would they think "What the fark is this idiot wearing"?:rofl:

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Oh heck!!:laugh:. And there's me supposedly checking if i've spelt it right everytime.:blush:
Aye ******** Spellcheckers, you'd think they should know what you are thinking however you choose to spell it:angry:.
Definitely give the bowling a try Accy, I was asking friend of mine how the local bowling club was doing, very well he said, only one member below retirement age and he keeps it all going:biggrin:.

Edit. Regarding dress code, just go with the flow. In some clubs they get dressed up for big matches, but prefer to play in civvies the rest of the time.

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If i take something up i have to take it seriously. I've seen people playing bowls in what some would call posh areas(Lytham St Annes and Cornwall), wearing all white clothing. Would i look ok in a white cap,white v neck jumper and white flannels i wonder? :scratch:Or would they think "What the fark is this idiot wearing"?:rofl:
Tell em you're a Cricketer ^_^

Levo-Lon

Guru
It's often played by retired people as its a nice steady game.

It requires a lot of judgement and skill to play it well.
Crown may be more fun and its a 365 day option

pawl

Legendary Member
That's what the runner Brendan Foster once called it on A Question of Sport,not me. Do you, or have any of you played it? I've been invited to join in the fun up my local park. One of the older chaps near to me plays in two teams and according to another player down my local pub, the one who's invited me to play is 'the best bowler in Arrod'. Arrod being the local slang term for the town of Great Harwood where i live. The bloke who's invited me to play is very modest as he's never said this about himself at all,just that he likes to play quite a lot. There's a tournament on today at another venue here,which i'm told will attract hundreds of spectators. I might have a look up. According to reports you can buy pie and peas for 2 quid,and cans of beer are only one pound each.:smile:
Have you seen the price of a set of bowls though?!
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Drakes-Pride-Lawn-Bowls-Clearance-/123139358270 :ohmy:

I had to read the thread title twice,you can guess why.

Top Bottom