Old MTB Resurrection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brads

Alright all.

As I said somewhere else ( I think) I came home to find this in the driveway. Left for me by a neighbour, not an unusual thing as I have a rep for faffing with old bikes.

DSC_0342.JPG

Impressive set of dildo's attached to the front not withstanding , it's actually not a bad old bike. Mid 90's Rockhopper.

Started by de-cluttering

DSC_0353.JPG

Anyhoo. Hung it up and gave it an initial degrease using Aldis W5 kitchen degreaser.
Excuse the fence, I have a batty old neighbour so am biding my time.

DSC_0347.JPG

Started getting into it and gave it it's first wash in donkeys.

DSC_0348.JPG

DSC_0350.JPG

DSC_0352.JPG

Turns out it has a wee drop decent bits on it as well, although only one Mavic as the front has been replaced with a cheapo.

DSC_0349.JPG

Will crack on and see what I end up with and add the pics here.

Attachments

• DSC_0351.JPG
    DSC_0351.JPG
    277 KB · Views: 4

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Classic old rigid MTB, great bikes, I have a Trek from the same era.

ruffers

Veteran
Alright all.

As I said somewhere else ( I think) I came home to find this in the driveway. Left for me by a neighbour, not an unusual thing as I have a rep for faffing with old bikes.

View attachment 522321

Impressive set of dildo's attached to the front not withstanding , it's actually not a bad old bike. Mid 90's Rockhopper.

Started by de-cluttering

View attachment 522323
Anyhoo. Hung it up and gave it an initial degrease using Aldis W5 kitchen degreaser.
Excuse the fence, I have a batty old neighbour so am biding my time.

View attachment 522322

Started getting into it and gave it it's first wash in donkeys.

View attachment 522324

View attachment 522325

View attachment 522326

Turns out it has a wee drop decent bits on it as well, although only one Mavic as the front has been replaced with a cheapo.

View attachment 522327

Will crack on and see what I end up with and add the pics here.

great work so far, can’t wait to

OP
OP
Brads

Brads

Been at it again already lol.

All done bar some adjusting.
DSC_0354.JPG

DSC_0355.JPG

And talking of the stem, it is really rather lovley. Very Nitto esque.

DSC_0356.JPG

It rides really well. A bit strange next to my Orange 5 factory but from a lifetime ago eh ?

Hmm to keep or to freebie away ??

Pub bike anyone haha :becool:

OP
OP
Brads

Brads

STX ? I hope, never heard of STC.

I used to have a Scott with STX RC and it was brilliant.

95 it is then. Good enough for me.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Nice. :becool:

Gunk

Guru
That’s from late 1990’s I used to have a Stumpjumper from the same era. Still in the family as my BIL now has it, in fact he has just spent a small fortune rebuilding and updating it.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The Spesh frame looks rather small to me, yet the wheelbase doesn't seem exceptionally short. I'm not familiar with them personally - did they tend to size them small and then rely on long seatposts? It's a world apart from my early 90's 23" Raleigh MTB frames! :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The Spesh frame looks rather small to me, yet the wheelbase doesn't seem exceptionally short. I'm not familiar with them personally - did they tend to size them small and then rely on long seatposts? It's a world apart from my early 90's 23" Raleigh MTB frames! :laugh:
Sloping Top Tube gives the impression of a smaller frame plus you can drop the seat post for more clearance when doing a long descent (hence the fashion for QR seatpost clamps)

Top Bottom