Old style Project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sidevalve

Über Member
Planning to build a road bike like the ones I used to cycle around on [too many] years ago, with maybe a few modern updates. Here's a rough spec, 7 speed [indexed], steel frame [reynolds if I can find one] alloy wheels and under 9.5kg in weight. All for under £50-£60.
Logic is as follows, 7speed because TBH I very rarely use more anyway and no front changer means less bits [and 7 speed cassettes seem to be cheap as chips on E Bay at the mo].. Steel frame because I like steel frames [old git] and anything as light may be too expensive for the budget [531 may be hard to find at the price though]. Alloy wheels for weight and 'cos I like to be able to stop.
Anyhow that's the challenge/plan, depends on what I can find to start on. Any thoughts ?

HovR

Über Member
That would be an impressive build for £60! Do you have any parts already? IIRC I spent £45 on a pair of budget Weinmann rims on cheap hubs alone when building up my Peugeot. They've lasted well so far, but I wouldn't want to go any cheaper!

I think your best bet to stick within that budget is look for a donor bike. Find one that someone has pulled out their shed with 20 years of muck on it and you can likely get it cheap - I got my 501 Peugeot for £30 this way, it needed was a fair bit of cleanup and new set of wheels/consumables, but apart from that it was fine. If you can find a bike with damaged paintwork you could likely get it cheaper still, and give it a new paint job on the cheap (ensuring thorough frame preparation).

eBay probably isn't the ideal place to be looking, vintage parts seem to go for ridiculous prices over there. Love the idea of 1x7 though. I run my Peugeot 1x6 now and it makes it so simple to clean and maintain.

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
I have a fair collection of the smaller bits and I think you are right about the donor bike / rebuild machine idea.
Still, £50 - 60 is the challenge [it equates to what I could afford all those years ago, ie not much] so as Holmes probably never said to Watson " the game is afoot" !

Best bet might be to try and find a full bike TBH. Then you can swap bits off it and replace as you find them.

I agree with HovR on your budget though and wish you luck with it.

I recently bought an older Reynolds 531 Dawes Stratos with the intention of riding it as it was, but on inspection I decided to change the shifters, then one thing led to another and next thing you know it's had a full up restoration, minus paint as I wanted to keep it original, and TBH the condition wasn't bad, but it did get some new decals.

My point being I'm now it for more than I could ever sell it for, although I've no intention of doing as it rides really nicely, but therein lies the problem with older bikes.

If you're not fussy about stuff and your happy to use it however it is then you should be OK, but as soon as you start thinking resto, no matter how small, things very, very easily run away with you, trust me :whistle:

It equates to what I could afford all those years ago, ie not much!

Does that allow for inflation? ;)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
To try and build any sort of bike for £60 would be an achievment IMHO. Scower the boot sales for a donor, but consumables like cables, pads, grips/tape and tyres will eat up most of that budget if you are looking for a proper retro rebuild.. I think I have a short cage rear derailleur kicking about somewhere, you could have for the postage Let me know if y'interested, now or later on. :thumbsup:

raindog

er.....
Agree with the others that £50-£60 would be damn near impossible for anything half decent. If you're not in a hurry though, and you're lucky, you may get stuff donated for free - Psycolist has already offered you a rear mech!
Nice project though, and it would make a nice thread for the "Classic and Vintage" section, with photos of your progress of course!

OP
OP
sidevalve

sidevalve

Über Member
Sadly It's mostly the gear bits {plus a few saddles tyres etc} that I've got. Thanks for the offer though !
There's no time limit so I'll just keep on searching for the bargains. As I've said before my Dawes cost me £50 and other than bar tape, brake pads and tubes it was fine, just needed a hell of a lot of the old "clean an' lube" [I fitted a Brooks saddle but it didn't need it. I just like them and it was on offer, same really with the new tyres]. I kept the Dawes original but this will be a basic "as it used to be" home brewed special. Anyway when I've got something suitable as a start I'll post a few pics.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi sidevalve,
Cycle jumbles might be a good source for cheap parts
I think your plan is doable and interesting. As you say, you are not in a hurry and you never know what might turn up.
Even if it costs you a little more than £60 I think it's worth a go.
I wish you the best of luck with your project.

Top Bottom