Old style TREK MULTITRACK 700

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User32269

Anyone got experience of running an old (90's) Trek Multitrack 700?
I've been looking for a go anywhere bike; I'm liking the large volume 700 tyre capacity, cantis, and high chainset ground clearance.
Very tempted by one for sale locally.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Anyone got experience of running an old (90's) Trek Multitrack 700?
I've been looking for a go anywhere bike; I'm liking the large volume 700 tyre capacity, cantis, and high chainset ground clearance.
Very tempted by one for sale locally.

No experience of that actual bike , but it sounds like it all adds up so go for it

OP
OP
U

User32269

Not a great quality bike, but looks perfect to turn into a cheep rough track tourer.

OP
OP
U

User32269

It's now in the shed! Cromo frame, chunky 700 wheels, old school canti brakes and acres of ground clearance. Just what I need. Praying Mrs O doesn't spot it.

Have vague memories that I've seen one on a London ride.Had the impression that it was a good bike. Who cares about "lightweight" - it's quality that counts.

A lot of good steel bikes were produced in the 90s - I have three. And a fourth from 2016 that owes a lot to 90s steel.

OP
OP
U

User32269

I've always liked rigid 26" wheeled steel mtb's, think they are great commuter / all rounders. Recently discovered the joy of old 700cc wheeled hybrid things, they offer everything you could want from one bike to be a tourer, commuter, and have really good off road abilities.
Im getting sadder the older I get, just refuse to buy a halford cheep aluminium bike, instead spend money, time and effort farting about with ancient steel beasts. But I like them!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's now in the shed! Cromo frame, chunky 700 wheels, old school canti brakes and acres of ground clearance. Just what I need. Praying Mrs O doesn't spot it.
By the by odav can I ask how much it cost and where you got it? Surely it's not an amount that should concern the possibly bejewelled Mr O?

Not a bad bicycle, no lightweight, and the group set isn't bad, pretty dependable machine for commuting.
This will help you figure out what year it is.
http://www.vintage-trek.com/model_numbers1.htm
Good link gravity. If you know a similar site for Ridgebacks i'd be interested as there seems to be little on the web. It was a shock to me a few years ago to find that my original ridgeback is now classed as "vintage" - god knows what that makes its rider.

OP
OP
U

User32269

By the by odav can I ask how much it cost and where you got it? Surely it's not an amount that should concern the possibly bejewelled Mr O?
Got it in a bundle of stuff for fifty quid the lot. It's not the cash that's the problem, it's the space, and the fact I no longer sell anything on. I will sell my old Raleigh Pioneer and keep the Trek, telling Mrs O "Must be something wrong with your eyes, I've had this bike for years love."

OP
OP
U

User32269

DSC_0165.JPG

Surprisingly nice ride. Will get fettling soon.

Now that's a nice bike - got yourself a bargain there. Great for day rides and i see no good reason why it couldn't go round the world with you. Like you, my rekationships with ally bikes are all in the past. Enjoy it.

Fair point.

I would actually do this sharpish though as "the industry" is discontinuing lots of decent quality stuff for less than 10 speed. Move quickly odav and you should find some good prices. I would also buy in some spares of key components - then let the industry continue on its merry way to 16 speed or whatever. And just get on and enjoy your bike.

Top Bottom