Old tools and other bits

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
When i collected a 1970's Claud Butler Cavalier from its original owner last week he handed over a box of assorted tools , spares and other cycling bits and bobs.

Some very useful some will stay in box and never get used , The tool in the 5th picture i have no idea what it is for so presume something to do with freewheel removal .
tools1.jpg
tools2.jpg
tools4.jpg
tools5.jpg
tools6.jpg
tools7.jpg

He also went to great lengths to make sure he told about treating the Brooks Professional saddle with some special cream that was in he box and sure enough there was a tin with "Ko Chin Line " on and reading the instruction its the stuff he was talking about , should last years and years

When i collected a 1970's Claud Butler Cavalier from its original owner last week he handed over a box of assorted tools , spares and other cycling bits and bobs.

Some very useful some will stay in box and never get used , The tool in the 5th picture i have no idea what it is for so presume something to do with freewheel removal . View attachment 99860 View attachment 99861 View attachment 99862 View attachment 99863 View attachment 99865 View attachment 99866

He also went to great lengths to make sure he told about treating the Brooks Professional saddle with some special cream that was in he box and sure enough there was a tin with "Ko Chin Line " on and reading the instruction its the stuff he was talking about , should last years and years
Nice tools, but you should really change your newspaper!!

OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Picture 5 are home made chain whips :smile:

Shaun

i could only presume as much

The last piccie looks like a 'homemade' headset press, not sure why it has old BB cups on it though, just to keep em together maybe?

that was my first thought i wish now i had emptied the box in front of the old boy so he could tell me but i would still be there

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The last piccie looks like a 'homemade' headset press, not sure why it has old BB cups on it though, just to keep em together maybe?
Perhaps they keep the cups true as they are pressed into the headtube.

wisdom

Guru
One little observation and a delve into my memory.The original bike "multitools"that sometimes came with a bike, or were bought from the array of bikeshops are still going strong despite laying in the bottom of a saddlebag(the old version of a wedge seat bag)for years.
The spanners didnt round nuts off, the jaws didnt spread, they really did the job.What a difference in quality.From a lot of the imported tat thats around now.
Just an observation.

U

User42423

Some very useful some will stay in box and never get used , The tool in the 5th picture i have no idea what it is for so presume something to do with freewheel removal . View attachment 99860 View attachment 99861 View attachment 99862 View attachment 99863 View attachment 99865 View attachment 99866

Picture five are fixed wheel sprocket removal whips. & picture six is (I think) a bottom bracket removal tool.

On a more general note, I was a carpenter and joiner. I have all of my tools, together with tools that belonged to my Dad. Many of them are superfluous in the building trade of today, and, sometimes, it makes me kind if sad to know that they will probably be dumped when I'm gone.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
On a more general note, I was a carpenter and joiner. I have all of my tools, together with tools that belonged to my Dad. Many of them are superfluous in the building trade of today, and, sometimes, it makes me kind if sad to know that they will probably be dumped when I'm gone.
Ditto, most of em couldn't even assemble my plough plane let alone use it to cut a groove.

Top Bottom