Old, used inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lane

Veteran
I had exactly the same issue and some part worn tyres - I was intending to contact the local bike recycling charity

Julia9054

Guru
Useful - thanks. One of this Easter's tasks is sorting out the garage and shed. Part of which will be dealing with the giant pit of writhing rubber snakes that have accumulated over the years

Tom B

Guru
oo - tree bondage.
do you threaten to punish them if they don't bend to your will?
i know less than nothing about horticulture but do you have any evidence for this strengthening discipline?

Have you been sniffing the vulcanising solution again?
... Hold my... errr... Tea...

Tom B

Guru

As request a picture of my trunk.

Probably not the strangest thing my neighbours have seen me doing in the early hours.

It's got to the point now where I think the tree is holding the post up.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
oo - tree bondage.
do you threaten to punish them if they don't bend to your will?
i know less than nothing about horticulture but do you have any evidence for this strengthening discipline?
My career was in Horticulture (and other bits). Plenty of research been done on this and this is correct. Best practice is to remove ties and stakes after a couple of seasons. Theory being if the roots haven't established sufficiently in that time they never will.

Tom B

Guru
Taking a picture of a tree, or tying the tree up?

Probably both.

My career was in Horticulture (and other bits). Plenty of research been done on this and this is correct. Best practice is to remove ties and stakes after a couple of seasons. Theory being if the roots haven't established sufficiently in that time they never will.

I think the posts are rotten below the ground now anyway. Likely Ill remove them all once it dries up a bit.

The tree hasn't done bad in about 5 years from being a runt of the lot at the garden centre and having a stem diameter of about 1". Must be all the cow turd it gets.

Am correct in thinking you are supposed to let them flex a bit in the wind as the flexing toughens them up?

Not bad for thread drift even by CC standards.

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
Probably both.

I think the posts are rotten below the ground now anyway. Likely Ill remove them all once it dries up a bit.

The tree hasn't done bad in about 5 years from being a runt of the lot at the garden centre and having a stem diameter of about 1". Must be all the cow turd it gets.

Am correct in thinking you are supposed to let them flex a bit in the wind as the flexing toughens them up?

Not bad for thread drift even by CC standards.
More thread drift..tree stakes and fence posts rot where they meet the soil as that's where most microbe activity happens. So if they are still standing they are likely sound. To promote tree strength the current trend is to use short stakes no more than 3' off the ground. If you are worried you could reduce the current ones in half, retye the tree for one more season. Ultimately you want rid of the stakes. One of my pet peeves is seeing old stakes with broken ties.

Tom B

Guru
Half the point of the stakes was to give it some protection against being hit by turning cars. The old dead tree had a scaff bar that was bent from being hit. Before I replaced the tree i left some substantial posts in place for 18 months to train the neighbours who prefer to turn around outside my house that use the parking area* turning head 35yrds further along the street.

* Heats my urine, the neighbour by the turning head parks his Chelsea tractors in the turning head and leaves the drive empty - so I turn using his drive.

Top Bottom