Old, used inner tubes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Was doing a tidy up in the shed and came across a drawer full of old MTB inner tubes.

I'm not likey to ever buy an MTB again so these tubes are somewhat redundant.

I don't really want to take them to the tip as I doubt they will ever degrade so does anyone know of any inner tube recycling schemes?

Cheers

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady

Right now it's at a diameter which can only accept 24" tubes or very stretchy 700c (wrapped twice around) everything else is either too slack to stay on or to tight to get on. But thanks anyway.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use them in the garden for all sorts of things after I cut them into strips. Currently being used to tie up rambling roses and to hold galvanized fence panels to new fence posts until it warms up a bit and i can paint the posts and secure them correctly.

Tom B

Guru
I use them for tieing up trees to stakes. They stretch then snap as the tree grows and allows some movement which I believe strengthens the tree.

They do seem to degrade and crumble in the sun over a few years.

I keep meaning to approach the local woodland trust and ask if they want some but they're a right stuffy bunch.

I have given them to allotments and community groups for the same purpose in the past.

Cymro74

Cut old inner tubes across width and you get a very tough elastic band. These are basically the same as 'Ranger bands' that were used by military to strap things together and prevent rattling. Also good as emergency kindling.
I use them to keep tins tightly closed, strap things to belts, keep small tools together etc.

I use them for tieing up trees to stakes. They stretch then snap as the tree grows and allows some movement which I believe strengthens the tree.
oo - tree bondage.
do you threaten to punish them if they don't bend to your will?
i know less than nothing about horticulture but do you have any evidence for this strengthening discipline?

Top Bottom